Oz May Cut Ties To "Poms" After Queen Mum Dies

Steve

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look i don't want to have a blue over politics ..the short answer is he killed the "free lunch"...many were put out of work due to him...

I think I know what you are saying now TB. You opened a restaurant at which you served "free lunches", it went bankrupt, so you blame the Pigman for it :)

From the ABS Website which is actually got some interesting stuff on it if you surf around...

United Kingdom-born Australians:

Immigration from the United Kingdom began with the establishment of a British penal colony at Sydney Cove in 1788. Many free settlers also joined the convicts who were transported to serve their sentences in Australia, particularly during the gold rushes of the 1850s. After the end of World War II, the Australian (Commonwealth) Government entered into agreements with a number of countries, including the United Kingdom, to provide free and assisted immigration to Australia. Between 1947 and 1973, immigrants from the United Kingdom constituted 41% of Australia's total immigration intake of more than 2.5 million. Despite the cessation of assisted immigration agreements, immigrants from the United Kingdom continued to arrive in Australia, many through the Family Stream of Australia's Immigration Program. Results from the 2001 Census of Population and Housing show 37% of Australians have United Kingdom ancestry, above the proportion who reported Australian ancestry (36%).

For United Kingdom-born Australians present on census night in 2001, the median age on arrival in Australia was 21.9 years. Half of these arrivals had occurred by 1970 (graph 5.36). The most common year of arrival was 1969, with 4% of all United Kingdom-born Australians arriving in that year.

The states with the highest proportions of United Kingdom-born residents were Western Australia (202,000 persons, or 11% of residents), South Australia (124,000 persons, or 9%) and the Australian Capital Territory (17,000 persons, or 6%) (graph 5.37). Most (89%) of United Kingdom-born Australians were counted in urban areas on census night in 2001, close to the figure for all Australian residents (87%).

You have got to be kidding TB... :shakehead

Mate I'm begining to think that you wouldn't know if a bus was up you until the people started getting off.

Go and study economics and come back when you have something of intelligence to say. Under Howard we had 17% Home Loan Interest Rates.

Interest rates are controlled by world affairs, nothing the local Australian government does. Australia has the 2nd highest interest rates in the world now. When Labor was in power in 1995, we had the 5th highest. So we've gone backwards.

Terrific, we had low interest rates under the coalition. But most couldn't afford to buy a house though! Wages only just cover the necessities of life. The industrial relations policy of the Howard Government was to casualise the workforce, thereby installing more fear of loss of employment. A wonderful way to control the population. Manipulation through fear.

TB your talking shit. Howard supervised the highest interest rates in the last 22 years and maybe since the war.

Here are the facts and please stick to them in future.

Frazer PM Howard Treasurer 11/11/75 to 5/3/83

Jan/1980 Australia Target, Cash Rate (ATCR) 7.92%.

August/1982 ATCR was 19.93%

Hawke PM Keating Treasurer 5/3/1983 to 20/12/91

March 1983 ATCR 17.54%

December/1983 ATCR 5.46%

Nov/1989 ATCR 18.18%

Keating PM 20/12/91 to 2/3/96

March 1996 ATCR 7.5%

Howard PM 2/3/96 - .

April/2002 ATCR 4.25%

Source - ABS

The Australia Target, Cash Rate is the rate which the RBA adjusts and if they put up rates shortly this will be the one.

So as you can see it was not only credit card rates that were high but also the ATCR. It is this rate that determines such things as home loan rates etc. and 19.8% is very close to 20% in my book

Being in business all my working life ...i /we were never better off than under a Lib Gov...under labor the crap hit the fan.......every time .

ok..over the last few years it would not matter whom was in ..as my industry was hit by ..9/11 Bali /Ansett collapse /Traveland collapse ..the list goes on ..a few planes have problems and people ..the traveling public get a bit edgy.....

Archived