XP clock runs fast?

Lusty

Has this been a problem since day one or is it a recent occurance?

If it has happened since day one it is quite common due to the cheap components used by some manufacturers, this can easily be overcome by using Online Time Sync. In industry it is not uncommon for us to use GPS Time Sync especially when we have machines in numerous remote locations

If it is a recent development on an oldish machine it may be an indication that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced

absolutely spot-on Mekong.

I often offer pearls of wisdom amongst my usual frivilous and banile postings, technology forum is the one I take most serious.

Time Syncronisation is an issue in my field (Industrial Automation and Control), especially as more and more sub-systems are making up the overall control system, SER (sequence of events recorder) needs a timestamp down to 1 millsecond on all sub-systems in order for a good analysis to be carried out in the event of a deviation from norm.

If the system is in "Island Mode", ie a single or group of process plants on the same LAN, it is quite easy to make one server the dedicated master clock and give each of the sub-systems a nudge every 10 minutes or so to "Syncronise Watches" but once you are using WAN or Internet simple firewalls can lead to errors, not in the magnitude of minutes though. One area where GPS time sync has become critical is the powergen / distribution field, nowadays we have managed to bring the number of blackouts down to an acceptable level.

CMOS battery is dealt with via routine maintenance, even back in the days when i was at Uni it was early recognised that the cost of changing out of the battery at say 65-75% of its usefull life paid for itself in the long run ... I still have well maintained VAX based control systems installed 20+ years ago that are still performing though as a whole anything 10+ years in service should be considered for an upgrade. CAPEX v OPEX (Capital Expenditure v Operational Expenditure).

I have some interesting discussions with my 74 year old well retired union shop steward father, his goal in life was saving jobs, my goal in life is engineering systems that cut down on OPEX and therefore manpower required and hence increase profability for the client.

Archived