Super Tuesday Thread

Steve

I figured maybe have one thread based on today's results.

I'll get the ball rolling. McCain walking the resulst so far. At this writing Obama gets Georgia and Illinois, 2 big states, Oklahoma to Hillary. In the above article, it says this: Clinton led Obama in the delegate chase as the polls opened, 261 to 202, on the strength of so-called superdelegates. They are members of Congress and other party leaders, not chosen by primary voters or caucus-goers. It takes 2,025 delegates to win the Democratic nomination.

The machine at work. Instead letting the people decide it, the democratic machine makes sure their person wins it if its close.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Early information from exit polls of voters in 16 states showed Clinton winning only a slight edge among women and white voters, both groups that she has won handily in earlier contests. Obama was collecting the overwhelming majority of votes cast by blacks, and Clinton was gaining the votes of roughly six in 10 Hispanics.

In Georgia, blacks cast slightly more than half the votes, and Obama was winning nearly a 90 percent share of those. Clinton was supported by nearly six in 10 white voters, according to the exit polls...

Sad that it has to be broken down by race or whatever. Clinton needs the lions share of women and white voters from what I read. Things have turned upside with regards to black voters. It wasn't too long ago that the question was why blacks aren't voting for Obama. I posted a while back that my own informal polling..hehehe..amongst blacks I knew I didn't find any negativity about Obama. It was the so-called 'black leaders' hoisting Hillary up on their collective shoulders due to a long standing relationship with the Clintons. As usual they differed from what their constituency wanted.

I figured maybe have one thread based on today's results.

I'll get the ball rolling. McCain walking the resulst so far. At this writing Obama gets Georgia and Illinois, 2 big states, Oklahoma to Hillary. In the above article, it says this: Clinton led Obama in the delegate chase as the polls opened, 261 to 202, on the strength of so-called superdelegates. They are members of Congress and other party leaders, not chosen by primary voters or caucus-goers. It takes 2,025 delegates to win the Democratic nomination.

The machine at work. Instead letting the people decide it, the democratic machine makes sure their person wins it if its close.

As I mentioned to Flash elsewhere, most English speaking countries have a democratic system where the voters have no say in who leads the country. Sure they get to vote for the party, but the party chooses the leader.

The only way that the leader can be removed is to remove the party at election time; unless, of course he is sacked by his party.

We recently witnessed in Australia a Government being thrown out after considerable economic growth under their rule... though no doing of theirs but it was still there... because an aging leader with ill informed and unpopular views refused to ride off into the sunset.

So it appears that the party still has some say on the choosing of the President through the "superdelegates". It's not all that bad a thing; what did Churchill say about the greatest argument against democracy being a five minute conversation with the average voter?

Talk show host Lorraine Jacque-White presents a phone-in on Atlanta radio station WAOK.

"The main issue that young people are interested in is the war in Iraq. And that is because if the war continues on these young people will have to go and fight in this war that they do not believe in," she says.

Judging by the interaction on her show, Lorraine Jacque-White believes there is a special energy among young voters this time round.

"It's incredible, people are excited, they are energised, they are looking forward to voting. It is an electricity - a fire - as I have not seen ever in my lifetime."

Georgia votes

Archived