Tracking someone from their e-mail address

Fidel

Hi.

Recently, someone slandered me via an e-mail to my employers. I have the address, but not the original with the headers. Is there any way I can track this guy?

Is there a way I can somehow get a "ping" from the address so I can see the headers?

The troubling thing is, this person obviously knows me. I have tried simply googling the address, but nothing turns up.

I suspect the address was set up for the specific purpose of mailing my employers.. and since this guy knows me, I'd love to find out who it is and confront him.

If the email comes from the senders own domain and you locate who the domain is registered to but this is an unlikely scenario.

If not from the senders own domain, even if you know the IP address the email originated from it would do you no good without the help of the owner of that range of addresses, likely an ISP.

A "ping" back is possible but beyond the scope of this thread. Check spammers techniques.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time unless it is a unique domain. Why not post the email here for our entertainment?

Archived