U.S. Citizenship Question

Steve

A green card holder, been so for more than 3 years and is residing in the U.S. marries a U.S. citizen. How long would it take for said green card holder to become a citizen? Can they apply right away or is there an additional waiting period after the marriage?

Its longer than 5, I said 3 because I thought after you get your green card (2 year wait or more), that its another 3 years before you can apply for citizenship.

So lets say she's been a green card holder and permanent resident for a fairly long time (longer than 5 years or what is necessary) and she marries a U.S. citizen, what then?

Apologies. I'm a bit slow today. Long time green card holder, say 10 years, marries a citizen. Is it easier to get citizenship based on marriage or applying individually? Or is the process the same length of time?

I'm unclear as to the answer. Sorry.

Apologies. I'm a bit slow today. Long time green card holder, say 10 years, marries a citizen. Is it easier to get citizenship based on marriage or applying individually? Or is the process the same length of time?

I'm unclear as to the answer. Sorry.

How old is the theoretical applicant. If under 18 and adopted, can gain immediate citizenship. 5555555 Ah, I can't help you with your question, but I, like Suadum, don't think the marriage will speed anything along. Good luck trying to call the INS and find out. I'm sure the hold time would be as long as waiting in line at the Federal Bldg. 555555555

HH

Faster to get a Green Card through marriage to a US citizen. A regular alien that receives permanent residence can apply for naturalization five years after receiving the Green Card. A person who is married to a US Citizen and then receives a Green Card can apply for citizenship three years after receiving the Green Card. My wife received her Green Card in 2006 and can apply for US Citizenship in 2009.

HSTEACH

Good info. I have a Thai immigrant friend of many years who was able to apply for her greencard one year afer completion of a stint as a nurse in a hospital which sponsored her for a H1 (?) visa. How long did your wife have to wait for her green card after she married you or entered the U.S.?

HH

This is an adult. Long time green card holder. Way past the required minimum, over 18, adult. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, it doesn't matter if she's going to be married to a U.S. citizen or not? Being married won't speed things along or as far as you all know, can't be used a basis to obtain citizenship. Green card, yes, I understand that but not for an exisiting Green Card holder of many years (way past the minimum required years).

Archived