Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

Roger_Baby

<< I also dislike the US habit of slaughtering millions of people in the pursuit of profit. It really is bad manners. >>

It would also seem to be counterproductive. How can people be consumers if they are dead?

:hmmm:

Thailand has changed considerable over the three decades I've been here. (And NO, it's not my fault!) Thai have become much more materialistic compared to the 1970s. Even they admit it. Ever heard the current saying? "Money is God." There were no traffic jams in the 1970s and early '80s, since nobody felt they HAD to have a car. No one had to have the latest fashion or any of that. Unfortunately, Thailand becomes more like the west every day. That's why so many Thai families are in debt. :(

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right.. Flasher.

And another good place to watch this unfold is Laos.

In the past few years, Capitalism has exploded in Laos, particularly in Vientiane.

Now, what happens when you have people being told "you must have a new Vigo" or "you aren't cool if you don't have the latest Nokia".. especially if these people don't have the money to buy these things?

They borrow or they steal.

Crime increases as a result of consumerism and debt increases as a result of consumerism.. as does wastage of resources and polution.

Crime is rocketing in Laos, especially with gangs along the Mekong road at night time. Lots of muggings..

OK.. rant done.

Sorry for straying off topic.

Phil,

You're the one who is always bitching and moaning about immigrants and anti-social youths.

If anything, you should be agreeing with me.

Isn't it amazing how the Capitalist system has turned those it has enslaved into its most ardent defenders?

I do not consider myself an authority regarding "Climate Change". But, I do recognize that billions of $ will be spent and billions of lives will be effected by this issue.

While looking at graphs of temperature changes that have occurred over hundreds of thousands of years, it would seem obvious that natural causes could wipe out all of civilization (ice age, very high temperatures). To think that man and his activities is THE BIG ISSUE seems silly.

Additionally, to have Al Gore, not a scientist and seemingly not the brightest apple in the bunch, to be leading the way - well, Scotty, "beam me up".

For those interested in looking at "Climate Change" from an objective point of view, here is a web site that presents both sides and is updated with the latest facts and research:

http://climatedebatedaily.com/

Additionally, to have Al Gore, not a scientist and seemingly not the brightest apple in the bunch, to be leading the way - well, Scotty, "beam me up".

Thanks for the link :thumbup: On a separate note, the Republicans had Dan Quayle and the Demonrats had Al Gore. California had Governor Jerry "The Fairy" Brown (aka Governor "Moonbeam" for his off-the-wall crap). In about 55 years, I have noticed a climate change in Southern California. Less swing in the weather. Cooler in the Summer and less rain in the Winter. So? :confused:

HH

You're right Tiger Moth,

Climate change is inevitable, even in the medium term.

Back in the 1700s the Thames used to freeze over... around 1060 it was frozen solid for 14 weeks.

Little Ice Age

Medieval Warm Period (Or Little Climatic Optimum)

In the Middle Ages, they harvested grapes in Britain.

It has been common knowledge for a long time that the climate changes over time...

Oh, I also like the Night of the Big Wind

Apparently, the reason why the Irish, an Island nation, eat very little seafood, and the reason why they didn't turn to seafood during the famine, was because the "Big Wind" had destroyed the country's entire fishing fleet a few years earlier.

Archived