US passport

tomc12

You do need a visa to enter Thailand. It's called a Tourist Visa, you just don't need to apply for it before travelling. If immigration refuse to stamp a Tourist Visa in your passport on arrival then you won't get into Thailand.

"Travellers to Thailand are required to hold a passport valid for not less than 6 months after entry into Thailand."

I think the same applies to most if not all countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if the airline refused to take you anyway.

That's very likely, you'll be stopped on departure rather than arrival.

Err.. people coming to Thailand for thirty days or less can be granted a "Visa Exemption" for thirty days on arrival. This depends on where you come from, I think the EU, US, UK and Australia are all covered.

Longer periods require a tourist visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your country of origin.

Unless you want to do visa runs..... HOW THE FUCK DID I GET INTO THIS AGAIN.

My US passport expires in 7 weeks. Since US citizens don't need a visa to enter Thailand for tourism, will I be allowed to visit before my passport expires?

Yer fooked Dr Tom. From the most excellent Delta Airlines website:

[color:purple]National U.S.A./Destination THAILAND (TH)

THAILAND (TH)

Passport required, which must be valid at least 6 months and in good condition.

1. If travelling for touristic purposes: visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days. Extension possible. Fee THB 1,900.- (1 photo required). Note: there is a max. limit of a total of 90 days stay within any 6 month period. Return/onward ticket is required.

2. In all other cases: visa required. Travel on one-way ticket is permitted.

Visas issued by the Thai Consulate in Amman, Jordan (now closed) will only be honoured when issued to nationals of Jordan. Visas issued to any national by the Thai Embassy in Amman, Jordan, will be honoured.

If holding APEC Business Travel Card (clearly stating on the reverse that it is valid for travel to Thailand): visa not required, for a max. stay of 90 days, provided APEC card is accompanied by passport and, in the case of being a resident of Hong Kong, a Hong Kong Permanent Resident Identity Card.

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years old, visitor must also hold sufficient funds to cover stay (at least THB 20,000.- approx. USD 640.- per person/family). Proof of funds includes letter of credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known credit cards (not applicable if holding re-entry visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;

- overstay fine for passenger of THB 500,- per day (but not exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

CHECK TINEWS/N11 - CLARIFICATION ON THE BLANK VISA PAGES REQUIREMENT FOR VISITORS TO SOUTH AFRICA

Timaticweb Version 1.3

28 February 2008[/color]

Cheers,

SD

If you live near a passport office (not a post office that will submit passport forms), then you can get 24 hour service if you show your airline ticket. But they are gov't offices, and you spend an inordinate amount of time waiting for you number to get called.

Here's a list:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

Archived