Record illegal drug production in Afghanistan

Steve

Record illegal drug production in Afghanistan supplies the Taliban insurgency with money and arms and the U.S.-backed government must take direct, prompt action against poppy growers, a State Department report said Friday.

Afghan farmers grew more poppies for opium in 2007 than ever before, the second year in a row of record production in the nation the United States invaded after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.

The drug trade deters progress toward a stable, economically independent democracy, the report said...

I think it's just great, goes to show how caring and effective the western armies are...invade a country, leave thousands of troops there, drug production rockets!

I guess they can't find Osama etc so why would we expect them to be able to stop poppy growth? I mean, it's not like poppy fields can be seen from the air or anything...

Hmmm. curious, eh?

The Yanks invade, and the opium steadily output increases.

Chechen gangs running Yankee/Afghan smack into Europe...

Yea your nutz on that one.

One thing the Talaban DID do when in power was kill anyone that produced drugs. So even one drug grown after 2003 is 100% more then in all of the 90's. Before that it was a drug free for all too.

Didn't anyone see The Living Daylights? "I could care less if the Russians died from my bullets or the Snow Leopard Brotherhoods heroin!"

The US wanted to use aerial spraying but that wasn't popular.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/dec/07/afghanistan.usa

Alternate crops have been suggested. The best idea at the moment seems to be to legalize production i.e. let them grow opium for medical purposes. The Taliban would still get the money of course and it probably wouldn't stop the smuggling.

This is a military document so it's sure to be reliable...

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/pub804.pdf

The Taliban prior to Sept. 11, 2001 was totally against growing opium. When the USA invaded the country, the USA made allegiance with the Taliban's major enemy. That was the Northen Alliance. I always found this to be a very strange tactic. Now, Afghanastan is back to being number one in opium production thanks to USA intervention.

Archived