No Country for Old Men...

Old Hippie

That is exactly what I was waiting for, a bit more to sum it all up...Tommy Lee Jones is in a dialogs with his wife, he ends, and BAM! end of film, roll credits, lights up...I and several others (some much younger than I) all went "...what the fuck...?" and left puzzled...many of us liked what we saw, but it all just didn't quite add up...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the summation was in the title. Jones had just visited his father who was in a wheelchair thanks to some villian from years passed. Jones was no spring chicken and running all over creation chasing some psycho was a bit much at his age. Just decided to leave it to the younger guys to take up the charge and avoid his dad's fate. Reminds me of an old friend who, in his late 60's was recruited after "9/11" to ride shotgun on commerical aircraft until the "sky marshalls" were hired. Government was desperate, I guess. His answer was "I'm too old to be rolling in the aisles with those assholes. I'd just shoot 'em". 35000 feet with assholes aboard is "no country for old men".

I'd give this flick a "B". Same as "American Gangster". I don't think any of the nominees for "Best Picture" come anywhere close to what are called "classics" or some of the winners in past years.

HH

J2...just to set my comments straight, I'm not saying "American Gangster" or "No Country For Old Men" were "bad" pictures.

Actually, I rent movies more than go to the theatres to see them on about a 5-1 basis. And the ones I usually enjoy the most are some of those out of Europe (even with subtitles). For instance, saw one recently made in Germany about the last days of Hitler as it became obvious to all those around him that "it" was over while he lived on in denial to the last day or so. An Italian movie (with subtitles): simple story about rural folks caught up in a kidnapping and the plight of a small boy who tries to foil those who have been holding the child hostage...including his own parents! Also a French movie about a man who's wife suddenly disappears while they are travelling to meet with their daughter who is at a boarding school. Sorry, can't remember the names, but they are obviously relatively "low-budget" productions. That said, the acting and all other aspects of the films have been excellent. No big names that I recognize...no dazzling special effects. Just good acting, story, and production. (Usually they are "award winners" of some type, whether Cannes or some off-the-wall outfit I never heard of. But definitely entertaining without resorting to bullshit and stuff that doesn't add up.

HH

Okay...just remembered the "Hitler" movie: it was "Downfall" and the Italian movie was "I'm Not Scared". In the last 6 months, I enjoyed "Beowulf". Sure, a fantasy/legend, etc. But even if you take away the special effects, had well-defined/controlled conflict, loaded with symbolism, irony, etc. Characterization was good, if not exceedingly strong. Still, some good characters.

Another movie I liked was a foreign film called "Maria, Full of Grace". I think it got good reviews from critics, but not commercially viable on a large scale. Don't think it was in the theatres.

Over the years, a few films using SEA as a backdrop that I enjoyed and thought were good to excellent: "Platoon", "Apocolypse Now", "Concubine" and "Between Heaven and Earth". A couple of others, the names I can't remember.

HH

Sometimes those low budget movies can be great. Australia knocked out some good stuff a few years back, "Sunday Too Far Away" set the early benchmark. There was one about outback miners called "The Last of the Knucklemen", and surprisingly the original Mad Max/Road Warrior movie was made in South Australia for very little cost.

Watch out for "The Lover" which is set in French Vietnam. The girl in it is really hot as well.

It's worth bearing in mind that "Easy Rider" was made for $500,000 also.

I think "No Country for Old Men" deserves the Oscar for best picture, considering the other nominees; but the movie that gripped me emotionally was "La Vie en Rose." The last Edith Piaf song in the movie can evoke a cathartic moment. Marion Cotillard did great as Edith [notwithstanding her recent faux pas with the press]. :thumbup:

"La Vie en Rose." I will give that one a shot. NC4OM was technically a decent job...I just failed to gett that was given in the end...seemed like to little too late?

This weekend I will go See There will be Blood, and maybe a late showing of "The Hustler" with Newman and my favorite Gleason! "Art house" movie theater opened up near me! Was a great place, love it!

Archived