Nana Bars 1AM closing by 'big police'

ghelseth

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A friend, a thai barowner in Pattaya, thought that both smoking-ban and early closures will last for 3 months and after that be forgotten forever. :easter:

He's right on both issues. Whats going on now is just Chalerm flexing his muscles. This comes from a mutual friend of Chalerm and mine.

I really wonder how long this will last. Sure, there is more than a whiff of Thaksin in this, but this government is much weaker than Thaksin's government. And it needs the support of the MiB, and the MiB rely on financial funding from the nightlife scene.

Recall the recent bar closures for the elections? Totally dysfunctional. Some places totally closed while others were open.

My guess? There are many vested interests here jokying for position and popularity. Nothing has really been settled, and there still scores to settle.

There will be crackdowns, but it won't be the sustained and somewhat systematic (if ill conceived) approach we saw with Khun Purachai. Chalerm is the Interior Minister now. His agenda is totally different, and his sons, well let's just say they aren't too popular with some of the MiB after that little nightclub incident a few years back. It will be unpredictable and quirky. Choppy waters ahead.

Careful Gadfly, you're giving me hope! :D

Starts just when I come back...

Looking on the bright side, at least this means I don't get dragged around all sorts of clubs by certain girls who don't want to go to sleep yet. "Sorry darling, everywhere's closed. We have to go back to my room..." :grin:

The problem of girls just ...not... wanting... to... SLEEP is particularly bad in Pattaya so I may even be relieved there.

I was out last night at 1:30 and the Nana bars were still going, and the Nana carpark was wall to wall....., the beer bars were also still at it.

The bars in Soi 5 and Soi 9 were still going strong at 2am

BB, I think there is reason for hope, and this report provides some evidence of that. Or, to put it more accruately, I wouldn't have much confidence in the current government maintaining a sustained crackdown, or do much else, which is actually a good thing, because less government intervention is generally a good thing, particularly here.

Instead, expect erratic foghorn bigmouth PR stunts. It will be annoying, and inconvenient (if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time), but it won't be pervasive and sustained - my guess.

[The Sukhumvit folding table bar scene did not exist until the early closings started with the last new social order campaign. The folding table bar scene was a direct result of closing bars early.

In early February to my regret found all the bars closed at 0100 when I arrived on a different flight (for me) than normal this time (ANA, which was great) which, sadly due to a snow storm in Japan, arrived late. Despite having a Limo waiting and making the fastest Shower, Shave, and change of clothes ever, found everything closed already. :(

Thank goodness for those folding table bars, ended up at one setup right on (still busy) Suk and Asoke, immediately found a choice hostess along with plenty drinks well into the wee hours. When choice hostess and I decided to bale back to my abode we conveniently only had to take 2 steps to the curb to hail a cab... :cool:

:patty::patty::patty:

I was out with Coss and OH last night, got tied up in a small beer bar, escaped, and eventually got home safe I think.

CTO, only spent a few days in Bangers this trip, all the rest in Pattaya. Next time plan to stay longer in Bangers. :content:

If I'd been out with you all would have been sure to have untied ya when the other 2 weren't looking :) ..unless it was the girls that tied you up... :patty:

Archived