Nana Bars 1AM closing by 'big police'

ghelseth

I blame Thaksin. Nana Plaza bars were closed at 1AM by the police for the last 2 nights. Of course this meant lots of converted freelancers in the parking lot and along Sukhumvit Road. Nana disco was closed early too, around 2AM some cops came by to kick out the remaining customers. The police were also rolling up and down Suk. Rd. and Soi 4 with their red lights on. Don't know why, reminded me of the Pattaya cops with their floodlights on Beach Road.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it doesn't take much to amuse you then. Somehow I expected someone would connect this to smoking. Then again there is karma. Wonder if Soi C got closed at 1AM?

Sure, it's the same people who are against prostitution, nightlife, bars, selling alcohol and smoking.... :patty:

The police were also rolling up and down Suk. Rd. and Soi 4 with their red lights on. Don't know why,

The Sukhumvit folding table bar scene did not exist until the early closings started with the last new social order campaign. The folding table bar scene was a direct result of closing bars early. They squeezed the ballon on one end and, surprise, it got bigger on the other.

Now they are trying to cover all bases. That requires significant resources. And it requires deploying resources from areas where Thailand does have serious problems to an area where the real issue is basically 'face' and public relations. In other words, they are squeezing one end of an even bigger ballon.

I really wonder how long this will last. Sure, there is more than a whiff of Thaksin in this, but this government is much weaker than Thaksin's government. And it needs the support of the MiB, and the MiB rely on financial funding from the nightlife scene.

Recall the recent bar closures for the elections? Totally dysfunctional. Some places totally closed while others were open.

My guess? There are many vested interests here jokying for position and popularity. Nothing has really been settled, and there still scores to settle.

There will be crackdowns, but it won't be the sustained and somewhat systematic (if ill conceived) approach we saw with Khun Purachai. Chalerm is the Interior Minister now. His agenda is totally different, and his sons, well let's just say they aren't too popular with some of the MiB after that little nightclub incident a few years back. It will be unpredictable and quirky. Choppy waters ahead.

Archived