FOOLISH?

sayjann

i bumped into a friend aged 48 who i have known for over 30 Years and we had a chat.

he visited Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya) for the 1st time 2 Years ago.

was hooked and has returned 9 times in 2 Years.

i knew he had met a Girl and was returning each time to see her.

i know nothing about her,wether she was in the BG business or not.

but during our chat he told me he had bought a Bar on Koh Samui,Chawaeng to be precise.

he said it didn't cost that much and should be up and running at the end of this Month.

his Girl will be running the place until (hopefully) he can move to Thailand later in the Year.

it is a Girly Bar and he says is in a good location.

i know my friend very well and not a foolish person and certainly not worth a lot of cash.

but for all i know he got a bank loan to help him out.

the only experience i have of Bars is getting pissed inside them and shagging the staff (his Bar will have Girls available for hire) so i am a little in the dark about how things work.

i've read Threads about the dangers of such an enterprise but then again our Friend Torrenova seems to have made a success of a business.

and i have a good friend who had success owning a Bar in Patong.

now is my friend being foolish in

1..letting his Girl run the bar while he is still in the UK?.

2..getting started in the first place?.

3..risking his future on what may be a whim?.

he did tell me that the amount of money was small and if not a success then no skin off his nose.

thoughts Ladies and Gents...........

Sounds like a small beer bar of the type common in Chaweng and Lamai.

I knew a guy had a similar bar there for a while and he worked in the UK six months of the year while his Mrs ran it.

I'm not sure if he made any money, if he had he'd have ran it full time I suppose.

The best advice to give him is to watch the books and get out if it starts costing him dough.

AND DON'T FUCK THE STAFF.

Also sounds like he may be doing the classic, get the girl out of the bar by giving her a source of income....in this case a bar.

He's probably foolish to trust her.

She'll probably be doing all sorts regardless of being gainfully employed.

He sounds smitten.

Sounds like a disaster in the making.

But

Maybe she's different.............?

Sometimes these things do have a happy ending but in most cases they end in tears. In my experience of Chaweng the locals tend to build far more beer bars than there is a market for and a few in good positions make money, but in many cases where overpriced to start with. The remainder in less prominent and favourable positions never make it.

I obviously hav'nt a clue what make his GF tick, whether she's genuine or not or whether or not she knows what she's doing and has her head screwed in terms of running a bar?

On the face of it it does sound like the classic recipe for disaster story. If she is genuine and has her head screwd on business wise and the bar is in a good location and he did'nt pay too much for it then it just might work out but even if all those ifs are the case he'd better be content for a pretty basic standard of living IMHO.

I remember a number of years ago in Chaweng a farang who bought his GF a beer bar and opened a bank account for the rest of his money both in her name at her insistance and once she'd got his last satang the Thai boyfriend chucked him out and he was last seen wondering up and down Chaweng beach road begging money off farangs to get to Bangkok to try and get a ticket back to the UK from the embassy.

Simie.

I can't see a former bargirl declining a lucrative financial offer if she's still in a bar and her boyfriends not around.

I know; I banged a mamasan for a while fully believing that she was no more than an employee of the bar owner.

Then one night the tearful Australian bar owner said... 'you've been knocking my Mrs off haven't you?"

Fortunately he was only a Victorian.

I set up a small bar myself in BKK.

(while of course working full time for my company)

The aim was:

- To see if we could (at the end of my expat contract) make a living from this.

- To assert her capabilities at helping to manage a business

I invested 400k bht and put 200k more to refit the bar/launch the business.

All in all:

- We never lost money

- When we realised that profits would not be sufficient to allow us to live comfortably then we sold it (for a small profit)

- I must mention that I had some previous experience in F&B and hospitality which came handy.

- I never invested money I could not afford to loose.

- Opening a small business in Thailand is far more easy than in Europe

- To have to rely on the business success to make a living is the craziest thing I could think about

- I am sure that she could have managed the place by herself but I would think that leaving a bar or any other type of business to a former BG has 98% chances to lead to a quick business failure....

Now, if your friend contracted a bank loan he is crazy.......if it turns ok then it is fine but if it does not then this is a foolish thing.

Archived