Strange Experience at Swampypoon

Another strange experience at Swampypoon.

I arrived earlier this month and I was carrying duty free of two bottles of alcohol (malt whisky and calvados) and some cigars. From a past experience when carrying more than the duty free limit I had decided to declare the extra bottle of booze (refer OP). However when arriving at customs the red (something to declare) zone was closed. So I proceeded through the green zone and out into the airport.

However as I walked past some guy in a uniform he raised his walki talki to his head and I heard him say “farang yaiâ€Â. Immediately I knew he was referring to me and sure enough I was then approached by another uniform who asked me what I had in my duty free bag. I told him I had two bottles of alcohol and some cigars, to which he replied that I was only allowed to bring in one bottle of alcohol. I explained that I wanted to declare the other bottle but that the red zone was closed. He expressed surprise at this and suggested that it was probably because of a shift change? He then took me to a partitioned area to inspect my purchases (showing a lot of interest in the bottle of Lagavulin) and again pointed out that I should only have one bottle. I repeated that the declare zone was closed.

I was sure that I was going to be fined however, after asking to see in my laptop case, he then abruptly told me to go.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived