Cheney A Hero For Ignoring Americans' Opinions

Fidel

While I'm no fan of Cheney and can't print what I think of some of his actions, and disagree with our Iraqi strategy, I would not want my president or VP to govern by polls.

They were elected and that is their mandate to do what they feel is best. The public isn't privy to loads of information they have access to.

The polls were against us getting involved in World War II but the pols knew we needed to get involved because the consequences were dire.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I would not want my president or VP to govern by polls.

They were elected and that is their mandate to do what they feel is best. The public isn't privy to loads of information they have access to.

Hear, hear. And in addition to having more information, even more importantly they have responsibility. It is easy to be a private citizen, or even the leader of a militarily and economically insignificant country, as no matter what you say or do you will never be faced with and held responsible for the horrible costs of your actions or inaction. When one is the President of the United States one is uniquely responsible for the fate of millions. Whether the U.S. invaded Iraq or not five years ago there would have been unspeakable suffering in that country over these last five years, and there would as well have been the same people on this board and elsewhere screaming and accusing the "fascists" Bush and Cheney for their venality and corruption. To fail to understand this is to be too stupid for words.

Whether the U.S. invaded Iraq or not five years ago there would have been unspeakable suffering in that country over these last five years,

Impossible to compare and a weak speculative stance. Tell that to the Iraqi poeple that dont have electric,water and some without any legs or arms OR any stability and allof the children without homes,the wives of GIS wo lost their husbands and a US economy in tatters with the Patriot act mocking our founding forefathers.

If your son was draft age would you have cheered as he left for an unsubstantiated WMD invasion-doubt it. The Iraqi war Cheney and Bush are all hideous embarrasements to the US.

Impossible to compare and a weak speculative stance.

Compare what? Speculate what? I made no comparison between the resultant carnage of the various options facing Pres. Bush. What I said is that there would have been carnage however he acted and that Bush would have been blamed in any event. Do you dispute these points?

And here we go again...

The lying, murdering, thieving, cowardly bastards:

WASHINGTON â?? President Bush contended that Iran has "declared they want a nuclear weapon to destroy people" and that the Islamic Republic could be hiding a secret program.

Full Story

And there lies the problem, they COULD be hiding a secret program, Iraq "could" have weapons of mass destruction.

I am belying the fact that Iran COULD be a problematic state, but we've been lied to so many times that its no wonder we have no belief in our politicians. I wish they would stick to putting their dicks in their secretaries rather than spouting out constant bullshit.

The NIE report was a setback for the war party but they managed to ridicule it. The Iranians are being asked to prove a negative. A logical impossibility. No amount of inspections would make any difference. It was the same with the lead up to the Iraq invasion...the goalposts kept getting moved.

Archived