Detox or Recovery Hospitals/Centers

Steve

I need to find out if there are any quality and credible drug addictioin hospitals or centers in LOS. I have a friend in Cambo who has in the devil's snare. I think he's too far gone but other mutual friends think he's salvagable. Anyway, the only plan of merit is getting his visa revoked and back to LOS for treatment but don't know where a good place to take him.

It will be very difficult to get him to go. He's suffering from paranoia and hallucinating about people and such. My main concern for him is he gets arrested and just dies in prison. If he has to die and it is his fate I'd rather it be on his own terms. I know it sounds harsh but I'm a realist. He has the money to live his lifestyle for years.

Anyway, that is a little of the story. My primary purpose for posting was to find a quality treatment center. It may not work. He may end up just becoming an addict in LOS rather than Cambo. Bringing him back to the states is not an option.

Not to be rude but this isn't a post about soliciting opinions on his actions. He brought it on himself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on in patient recovery hospitals or centers.

Forget getting him straight in Thailand, especially if he doesn't want to - it's just too conducive to lies and bullshit for most people to make any progress, IMHO. I don't think any programme in LOS is likely to help a westerner, at least not without some questionable coercion. The impact of a serious legal fu*k up in LOS is probably more damaging than in Cambo, especially if he's got some cash, as you mention.

It's a little bit crazy, but if it can be done anywhere, Cambodia's the place: get some toughs to knock him out, drag him onto a plane, keep his anxiety down with meds, and fly him somewhere where he can get into a tough programme for a while (maybe Philippines? maybe just some thugs in Cambodia could keep him in one place for a while, until he calms down and someone can persuade him to make some new decisions... Or a hole in the ground, Karen/KNU style?). the paranoia and delusions are generally short-ish term, and can be treated pretty easily if his use is limited.

give extreme measures one chance, and if it doesn't stick, write him off. it'll be between him, god and the devil to figure out the way forward. if he's lucky, he'll get in trouble with the law and sent back to the states in relative freedom.

check out Wat Tham Krabok, though I don't see it working for a western speed addict with no will to change -

good luck with your friend -- always a nightmare, but it's great you're still on his side at least for now.

YimSiam

I'm with YimSiam in thinking that there's something about Thai culture that doesn't lend itself well to rehab programs for Westerners. I'm sure there are some farang operated facilities in Samui, but that sounds too cozy.

As mentioned, the Philippines might be more suitable, though not thoroughly Western (I'm pretty sure your friend would be the only farang in the joint). I'm not sure about the legalities of admitting and locking your friend up there but, unlike the States, it can be done easily by family, regardless of his age, so maybe there's a chance. If he's nuts, getting him there would be fairly easy - just tell him your taking him to a brothel (or whatever piques his interest).

I know some guys who run rehab centers in Tagaytay and I can put you in touch with them, if you're interested.

I think the Detox Centers on Samui are for getting rid of cellulite and burgers not for getting real shite out of your system.

If he's using heroin a medically supervised detox is recommended because it is a severe physical addiction but if its cocaine or speed (to my knowledge) it more a case of keeping them away from it for a while and expecting a few fireworks.

Cheers

I've never been very impressed with most detox facilities in the west. Most have programs that are structured more to meet the requirements of the insurance companies rather than the clients needs. The rest are mostly pink walled country clubs for the super rich and the celebrity brats who need to buy time for their noses to heal and lawyers to deal.

I have read on other forums of some centers in Thailand that deal with drug and alcohol addiction and some seem to have pretty good reputations. From what I understand, they do tend to concentrate more on the spiritual and the inner self but isn't that what substance abuse is about anyway.

I don't know the names of these places but I recall one being on Samui. Do some Googling and you'll find out more. Good luck

If it's H I hear their is a good treatment centre run in BKK by the monks. There is also one up near Mai Sariang but probably not suited for him I would guess although maybe it would. I will try and get some more details for you.

Archived