Spice Girls SC - can not barfine?!

Somchai888

The remodeling the "arab guy" has done to Soi Cowboy bars I think is a very nice touch and it puts the other shabby, run down, cramped places that smell bad (eg: long gun) to shame. I appreciate his work, it's a nice look and feel. Perhaps spice girls is the most decked out of them all with laser lights and glowing table tops. In his places the girls also show and are fairly good looking in all the bars. So for instance, not only does spice girls have coyotes, they have lots of good showing going on too with cute girls. I visit about all his bars every time I go to cowboy--they are on the top of my list.

I have not had any notable problems with service in the arab guys places, though wouldn't be surprised it happens. But I do cringe at the prices. They just continue to lead the way for other gogo bars in bangkok to goose step to their ever higher prices that seem out of step with the costs of providing. If there's one thing that can kill the bar scene, I would say it is cost. When drink prices are 500 baht and barfines 5000 to where customers inevitably dry up and they must close their doors, mark my words everyone will think up some unrelated excuse as to why and never once will bars contemplate lowering their insane prices along the way. A bunch of GIANT bottles of beer from 7/11 costs 100 baht. Having girls in bars adds profit to the bar as their "salary" is paid for and then some by customer barfines else they are docked. So why the heck does a drink cost so @(*# much and you know the next price rise is just around the corner?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...So why the heck does a drink cost so @(*# much and you know the next price rise is just around the corner?..."

See my previous post where I said:

"...To me, the Thai bar scene is ruined by the following vicious cycle...guy goes into a bar, throws money around foolishly, girl figures "...if he can blow money like that on drinks, he can give me a lot as well, " which he foolishly does, she brags to other girls, the bar owner gets wind of it, figures "...if these fools can blow that kind of money on a girl, they will also blow it on drinks and bar fines..." and raises his/her prices...and the cycle keeps repeating..."

So why the heck does a drink cost so @(*# much and you know the next price rise is just around the corner?

It's pure greed and the reason I very rarely visit the gogo bars in Bangkok anymore. If it bothers you why don't you just vote with your feet like me and lots of people I know have done?

I don't understand people who complain about prices gone sour who still visit Bangkok for the reason of paid sex. I understand those who are working there and have to visit those bars but tourists on holiday :confused:

Having said that there are still couple of bars on Cowboy I still visit for drink every time I'm in Bangkok but barfining? No way, so many better options around Thailand.

The remodeling the "arab guy" has done to Soi Cowboy bars I think is a very nice touch and it puts the other shabby, run down, cramped places that smell bad (eg: long gun) to shame. I appreciate his work, it's a nice look and feel. Perhaps spice girls is the most decked out of them all with laser lights and glowing table tops. In his places the girls also show and are fairly good looking in all the bars. So for instance, not only does spice girls have coyotes, they have lots of good showing going on too with cute girls. I visit about all his bars every time I go to cowboy--they are on the top of my list.

I have not had any notable problems with service in the arab guys places, though wouldn't be surprised it happens. But I do cringe at the prices. They just continue to lead the way for other gogo bars in bangkok to goose step to their ever higher prices that seem out of step with the costs of providing. If there's one thing that can kill the bar scene,

I have to agree with Neo on this one. The "arab guy's' bars - has anyone ever actually met this guy (Iranians and arabs are not exactly the same)? - are the nicer bars on Soi Cowboy. The prices are definitely higher than the other bars.

I wonder if this is the future of Soi Cowboy? Tilac bar was recently remodeled. Baccara seems to be in line with the the 'arab guy group of bars' in terms of chrome, neon and cleaniness, showing (well, sort of) and, of course, price.

A friend was here from the US recently, and I took him to Long Gun to start the night, primarily for the shows. His one comment: "why does this place smell so bad?"

I can't understand bars that smell. That is one thing the Arab has definitely improved in Midnite (along with the girls who are girls, I'd say too - the lineup before was full of stretchmarks).

Rawhide has started to smell a little too, I've noticed. And Dollhouse smelt bad the time before last.

Old Hippie, if you're annoyed in Thailand, you should try Vietnam. No customers in the bars. Lots of girls, no money. So what would you expect? All eager to please, right? Nope. They keep to themselves, hardly any attempt at rapport. One girl (whose turn it is) approaches you and asks to sit with you. The other girls usually make NO attempt to interact unless called over. (And I'm talking NONE, even compared to the least friendly bars in Thailand :) )

When you pay the bill, the girl who sat with you expects a tip (apparently they don't get commission on the drink). After one drink, I paid the bill and offered up $5. For 5 minutes of fucking dull 'conversation' I didn't want. In a country poorer than Thailand. You'd expect a girl to be happy with this, right?

Nope - you get extreme whining for $10! Money for nothing whined about! For not that much more, I could actually get something! The logic of these girls... :doah::)

Maybe wrong topic to discuss about this but in BKK try RCA, Ratchada soi 4, Thonglor bars. They are maily visited by normal young thais so if you're over 30 they might not be so much fun. If you're looking for p4p I'd recommend Pattaya, Koh Samui, Phuket...Much more fun IMHO in laid back environment for half the price you will spend in BKK. And if you're adventurous and have some time why not make a trip to Isaan (Udon Thani/Khon Kaen).

I don't find Ratchada/RCA all that interesting anymore. Partly because I'm not as young as I used to be plus have had a falling out with the ghetto music these type places go in for these days. But I also remember the days early in the decade when it was more of a teen hangout for uni students, the fun factor seemed a lot more, some fun places started getting going at midnight and went all night, and the shows in the discos had nudity on supermodel class girls. Then the social crusade arrived... Now they sort of bore me to death staring at my drink all night as they are too loud to have any conversation. Give me a gogo anyday. But I know these type places carry an appeal all their own and a variety factor so some will enjoy them.

Oh, just remembered another thing about the "old days" of Ratchada/RCA for a bit more off topic meandering. I, like Thai's who went there, rarely paid for whiskey. That was free. All you needed to do is when you left a club late is get a card from the staff who were passing them out. The cards offered a free bottle of whiskey and valid for about 3 months. Some cards offered a whopping 6 free bottles and were stamped each usage! Normally it was cheaper whiskey (though big bottles of them), but I once was lucky enough to get a free bottle of black. Now a simple bottle of black at many places costs $100 or more...the markups have become insane. Then you gotta consider it doesn't usually include mixers which also can be insanely priced.

Soi Cowboy I noticed a few days are is back to 2AM closing. There was tight 1AM closing throughout Bangkok recently so good to see a little breathing room come into play.

Some Patpong bars are erecting signs about no smoking, which are currently being ignored but the word is come June it will start to be enforced.

Why does Long Gun stink? Cause it hasnt be remodelled since the cop owner got his first pink envelope....Its been full of well-used pussy for years, bound to leave their scent.

As for this Arab ..... well, it could be worse, he could start importing the rag'eds from the lower Sukhumvit then where would we be? I'd have to hit happy hour, get tanked on jack and chin one of the arrogant little twats on my way out of the soi each night. Pest control.

With that in mind, Nana this last week had a lot more towel heads in disguise wiping themselves on the chicks than usual.

Archived