vasectomy?

buddha

I read old hippie's posting in a thread over yonder in the 'general discussion' thread. It was about behavior in regard to safe sex after Jungle Soup shared his situation with hiv.

Hippie states that he practices safe sex more out of fear for pregnancy and subsequent child support.

I am in no way being critical OH as I fear these immensely. I don't fear an std; however, I really would be devastated by this. The complications caused by this would cause me to have a melt down.

Time for a vasectomy. Anyone have one? Please share pro's and con's.

My brother and my stepson had one. (That is one each, of course) They were both happy as clams at the time. My brother did tell me that before it was done they told him it was reversible (albeit with trouble and not 100% surety of success).

Some time later, however, he got told that after 6 years or so the chances are basically nil that it could ever be reversed, and further, that if he ever wanted to have one of the surgical procedures to take the sperm directly out of the testes for in vitro fertilization, the chances of finding anything alive down there was extremely thin.

Once he learned that, he began to wonder how much of his lowered sex drive was due to his increased age (he is, after all, 63) and how much was influenced by the long-term vasectomy.

My stepson is much younger, so it would be interesting to see if his drive lowered after 6 years as well, but I have never asked him about that. Anyone else have experience with this?

I got one a few years ago and am sooooooo happy I did. Last thing I need in the states is to pay for the next 18 years.

I practice safe sex anyway, but you never know. As for kids, I can love some women's child as my own. I feel no need to 'pass on the family name'. I have several brothers for that and I feel its silly anyway.

As for the procedure itself, I was nervous but it went okay. Local anesthesia, I looked away. I didn't want to see some man with a sharp knife cutting at my nuts. Didn't take long. They said to take extra strength Tylenol for any 'discomfort' (code word for pain) and I felt I needed something stronger so I got some Vicadin on my own. I got it done on a Friday so I won't have to walk like I shit myself at work. It was sensitive and I was careful but felt no real pain afterwards due to the vicadin. After about 2 or 3 days I switched to Tylenol as I didn't feel much discomfort. I heard stories about it feeling like a kick in the nuts but frankly, I thought it went well and I'm very pain averse.

I'm happy with it. The only part I didn't like was having to jack off in a cup to test the sperm count later on. Had to do it twice.

I don't tell women I've had it. Even if they don't want kids or want to get pregnant, they don't like the feeling that you can't get them pregnant. Strange but its how women are. Its a generational thing as well. Women who have had kids and are about mid 30s or so, I've found don't want anymore and are glad I can't get them pregnant accidentally. They are counting the days when their 13, 14 or 15 year old will fly the coup.

Women in their 20s are a different kettle of fish. Even if they see you as a booty call and do not see you as a potential father and would abort it if you did get them pregnant, they don't like that you can't get them pregnant. I stopped telling them as it turned them off to some extent. They enjoy the power that they could trap you and now they can't. At least that's my guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't tell women I've had it. Even if they don't want kids or want to get pregnant, they don't like the feeling that you can't get them pregnant. Strange but its how women are. Its a generational thing as well. Women who have had kids and are about mid 30s or so, I've found don't want anymore and are glad I can't get them pregnant accidentally. They are counting the days when their 13, 14 or 15 year old will fly the coup.

Women in their 20s are a different kettle of fish. Even if they see you as a booty call and do not see you as a potential father and would abort it if you did get them pregnant, they don't like that you can't get them pregnant. I stopped telling them as it turned them off to some extent. They enjoy the power that they could trap you and now they can't. At least that's my guess.

Wow, I've never realized this before but it makes sense. I had mine done at what I consider a very young age (25), 6 years ago. I'm gonna stop telling them and try your stradegy out, Steve.

No drop in sexual appetite at all.

Having one has made me more likely to go raw-dog on occasion...risky business, I know.

I had one at age 35...decades ago. I've no regrets!!

Cost a mere $90, back then, at a Planned Parenthood clinic.

One motivation was I'd had two gals I'd been living with (at different times back in the West) get pregnant. Both pushed for marriage...I declined, but still remain friends with both of them. The two problems were resolved (early abortions) as my other motivation is not wanting kids and having the option of spending my money on other things.

I'm wondering if, sometime, some Thai gal will make a false claim that I made her pregnant, then make support demands. I guess she'll have a rude awakening once she learns I shoot only blanks.

Archived