Sport Quotes

The_Munchmaster

As said by Doc Rivers, head coach of the Boston Celtics after beating the New York Knicks last night.

The Celtics, got a halftime pep talk from another champion who wears green: Masters winner Trevor Immelman, who watched the game the day after collecting the green jacket.

â??He gave us a halftime speech and it obviously worked,â? Rivers said. â??It was great. Half the guys didnâ??t know him, but most of them did. But it was really cool. They gave him a nice standing ovation, shook his hand. We wanted everyone to touch what a champion felt like.â?Â

One of the smarter ones... "â??When I started it was beer on ice. Now itâ??s players on ice, so certainly (things have) changed over 20 years.â? - DARREN LEHMANN announcing his retirement after a 20-year first-class cricket career".

Some of the not so smart ones from the master of silly quotes, Kevin Keegan.

"They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Highway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different"

"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game"

"England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are second to none"

"I don't think there's anyone bigger or smaller than Maradona"

"I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's totally different"

"I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is. But the onus is on us to perform and we must control the bandwagon"

"In some ways, cramp is worse than having a broken leg"

"The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful"

"Goalkeepers aren't born today until they're in their late 20s or 30s and sometimes not even then. Or so it would appear. To me anyway. Don't you think the same?"

"I'm not disappointed - just disappointed"

"We deserved to win this game after hammering them 0-0 in the first half"

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw"

"He's using his strength and that is his strength, his strength"

"Argentina won't be at Euro 2000 because they're from South America"

Whispering Ted Lowe commentating a match on Pot Black when color TV first started "for those viewers watching in black and white, the pink ball is just behind the green"

He also once told viewers that Fred Davis, struggling to rest one leg on the edge of the table in order to reach a long shot, "is getting on a bit and is having trouble getting his leg over"

Jack Dyer was a famous Australian Rules player and coach.

"Retaliate first"

"I only have two words for you men - believe in yourselves"

"If you are not in bed by 12 o'clock, go home"

"Tell him he is John Coleman and send him back on"

- Jack Dyer, when told by medical staff that a concussed player 'did not know who he is'

(John Coleman was the leading goal kicker for that season).

Some funny Cricket ones :-

The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.

- Brian Johnston, BBC

Yorkshire 232 all out, Hutton ill - I'm sorry, Hutton 111.

- John Snagge, BBC News

Ray Illingworth has just relieved himself at the pavilion end.

- Brian Johnston, BBC Radio

He's usually a good puller - but he couldn't get it up that time.

- Richie Benaud, Channel 9

Archived