Cardiologist

duan

I have recently had a stent inserted in one of the arteries in my heart in the UK. I plan on spending long periods in LOS when I retire next year but would feel happier if I could get recommendations for a top cardiologist in BKK. From my research so far it seems pretty clear that if anything goes wrong I need to get back to BKK immediately to either Bumrungrad or the Bangkok Heart Hospital.

Any advice fron anyone with experience of heart problems or either of these two hospitals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Fortunatley I have never been in need of a cardioligist yet, but who's to say I won't need one in the future!

Check out the various threads in the health forum and you will see the same hospitals comong up again and again, let that be the basis of your research.

Personaly I like St Louis on Sathorn, it has served my minor needs over the years but I am sure there are other hospiyals on par with ig noy better at a competative rate. Forgey Bumrungrad and its ilk.

If you go to the Bumrungrad website, you can review the qualifications of the physicians and cardiologists there. I noticed that there are a few that list interventional cardiology or stents and PTCA as their special interest. Something to start with.

I've no direct experience of cardiac treatment in Thailand, but I've had 4 heart op's in the last 2 years in the UK, including open heart CABG's, so I know all about heart problems and I do understand your concerns. Since you have already had an angioplasty and stents you will have had extensive tests done by your cardiologist, so it would be advisable to inform him of your travel intentions the next time you see him, and ask his opinions. I was told, providing I continued to take the prescribed medications, I should not be at a particular high risk of a heart attack. If my condition worsened, it would most likely to show itself with the on-set of mild angina. If this happened, I would move back to the UK for treatment. Personally, I wouldn't use a Thai hospital for surgery, unless it was an emergency, in which case I would use Bumrungrad. I think it's wise to carry a vascular dilator (GTN spray) on you and know the whereabouts of the nearest hospital with an emergency room. It would be a good idea to have this address written down in Thai script, along with a brief summary of your condition, in case you need to get help, in a hurry.

Archived