Uploading Thai Music CDs into iTunes with Protected WMA Files

Mike Goodtime

I just tried to upload some Thai CDs with protected WMA files into my iTunes library. Here is what is happening:

1) I open iTunes.

2) I put the CD into my "D" Drive. With my other (unprotected) Thai CDs, iTunes would just upload the CD with no problem. iTunes will not recognize the CDs with protected WMA files.

3) I then go to my "D" Drive and see the CD is there and double-click on the "D" Drive. When I do this a CD program opens up and I have to agree to the terms and conditions of using the CD. After I agree to the terms and conditions I have the option to save the CD my media library. I can save the files to my Windows Media Library with no problem.

4) I was even able to add the files to my iTunes media files, but when I try to import the files into the iTunes library the operation fails due to the file being WMA protected.

Has anyone ran into this problem and found a solution?

I know there is the option of breaking out the double-male cable and copying the songs onto fresh files, but I obviously want to avoid this. The sound quality is not to hot and it is very tedious work with this option.

Any information would be appreciated.

As a side-rant I wish the record companies and music software providers would get there act together! They do not want people steal their music, but the technology they implement a lot of time almost promotes it.

As a side-rant I wish the record companies and music software providers would get there act together! They do not want people steal their music, but the technology they implement a lot of time almost promotes it.

As a side rant, I'd say that the issue is with Apple, and their love of proprietary software.

I will not buy an Apple product because of that.

YMMV.

Yes, I know there are cracks for this; but the principle is the point. They need to know the issue, and I'll make my point.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks for all the advice! When I come to Bangkok I will check out the stuff at MBK.

I also emailed the website who sold me the CDs and they advised the following:

For protected CD, you need to convert to MP3 first before uploading to iTunes. You can download this software and use to rip protected CD into MP3 format.

http://tunebite.com/en/remove_drm/

Here is the conclusion with this whole issue:

I was trying to upload nine CDs.

Three of the older (by release date) CDs uploaded to iTunes with no problem.

The next three newer CDs (newer by release date than the previous batch of three) needed the assistance of Tunebite mentioned above.

The next three even newer CDs would not even load on my laptop. I kept receiving the message, "Application failed to lauch." Tunebite did not help this time.

In frustration I whipped out the double-male cable and hooked up my CD player to my computer and made fresh copies of each song. Can you say tedious work. :cussing:

For the future, does anyone have way fix an execute file (*.exe) that will not launch from a CD in Windows XP?

Also, are there any good Thai music MP3 download sites out there with an English language page view option? I went to a big Thai record company site to download music, but I have to learn a bit more Thai to navigate the site. Or, at least spend a half a translating the Thai on the website.

Archived