North Thailand kayak routes

dashiling

Anybody out there have advice on where to put a kayak in and float down the river? Maybe the Mekong from Chiang Saen to ??? Maybe other rivers?

Something i've always wanted to do and turning 40 got me thinking i better do it or i never will. I'm not a newbie by any means. been all over Asia, just Thailand a dozen times and can speak a little thai and chinese.

Any ideas?

I'd treat the Mekong with a little wariness, getting too close to the northern side may involve being fired upon.

I would suggest the Tha Ton to Chiang Rai leg of the Kok River. It's about 4 hours by longtail boat with plenty to see and easy rapids on the way.

Dashling there is a great secong hand book I am forever quoting - Teak Wallah - written in the early 20's - and all much about floating teak logs down to Bangkok from the North of Thailand (takes 2 - 3 years due to dry spells)

Would be a great source of ideas

Thanks for the reponse. I expected none! I have been down the Maekok from Thaton to Chiang Rai on a goofy bamboo raft with a very cool german couple. (they do exist). A lovely trip with a disused forest temple along the way. Maybe i'll go down from Chiang rai (a town i know and love) down to its tribute to the Mekong. There are so many possibilities around Thailand and then further to Lao,Kampuchea, and VN. So i can't quite figure where to go.

I'll be going solo in a two person Sterns inflatable. extra room for luggage and a patch kit. I v'e got plenty of time at least three weeks or four after new year. more if i can pry myself from the gogos

I've thought of paddling the Chao praya, but it is DIRTY. weeds on you paddle is fine but used rubbers??? eow

How about the Saen Sairb khlong in Bangkok...you could stay in the Banglamphu area and paddle the canoe up to the Soi 3 bridge from where its only a short walk to the bright lights of lower Suk. - ...no need to miss out on the gogos...

Archived