Thai mother-daughter relationships

dean

The last time that my wife and I went to Phuket and left the kids, I had my wife's best friend stay with them. I don't like leaving kids on their own for a week. The kids don't like her and I was told that the daughter would be fine. Right now, the daughter says she doesn't want to go to the U.S. at 18, I can't force her. I will go ahead and send in her visa application with the others and there will probably be a 2 month wait for the interview in Bangkok. During that time, I will sit her down and talk to her about what her life could be like in the U.S. with a college degree (she could return to Thailand then and get a job with western wages) versus what she can expect getting married at 18 to another 18 year old, whose family is not well off. I will not pay for her college education in Thailand, if that is what she choses. Hopefully, things will calm down in the next month and cooler heads wil prevail.

CTO ,

Nok's daughter ( 17) made mummy grandmother 3 weeks ago although under close supervision at the time of making lub . Next thing she wanted to marry the 23 year old neighbour illiterate rice farmer fuckup which made me explain Nok that the second that happens I cease all financial support for daughter 1 and 2 education . Big drama . Now she seems to stays single , why did I say that : Once married they would forget about further school and stay half uneducated , Mr Husband disappearing anyway with the next 3 years , the well known Isaan one-way road .

There seems to be a stalemate. After being talked to by her mother, brother and sister and her aunt, the 18 year old daughter is still adamant about not going to the U.S. Tomarrow is the next series of shots (this time done at Klaimore hospital, at a substantially reduced rate). I wrote the daughter a letter, explaining the long term consequences of not going to U.S. I have no idea if she has read it. An immigration lawyer suggested that she get the P.R. visa, go to the U.S. for a week or two and return to Thailand. Going to the U.S. with the rest of the family is a U.S. requirment. If she won't do at least this, I am prepared to cut her off financially at the time that we leave for the U.S. (no money, no moterbike and no place to stay). If she goes, I'll let her stay at no charge at my smaller house and possibly pay part of her college expenses at a C.M. college. My biggest fear is that she will be dumped in a year or two by her boyfriend and will not qualify then for a P.R. visa. As of now, she goes to school from 8 to 4:30, comes home and goes to work until 11;00 P.M. and works all day sat and sun. Now, I haven't seen where she works, so I'm suspecious of how she is spending all that time. If she wants her freedom, she is going to find out that it comes at a price. Personally, I'm getting tired of having to deal with the family arguments over this mess but I still hope that she sees the logic in getting the P.R. visa and then coming back to live in Thailand after a shot stay in the U.S.

I'm in Thailand. I'd like to believe that, once in the U.S., the daugher would come to her senses and decide to stay there but, not familiar enough with Thai thinking, I'm not going to bet the house on it.

Archived