Non-B extension question

I think the issue here is one of semantics. People use the term visa and extension to stay interchangeably and they are not the same thing. A visa cannot be issued in Thailand. What is issued by immigration in Thailand is an extension to stay. If you are being issued a new work permit from your new company, then immigration can give you a new extension to stay based on that without having to leave the country. As usual with things like this, the hardest part is finding the right person to ask the right question to. Someone at the BOI is not likely that person.

One word of caution, the 7 days that used to be automatic when a work permit was cancelled is no more. You have to go immigration and apply for the extension, and pay 1900 baht for it.

KS - I think some idiot mention to you a long time ago that as soon as you lodge your BOI application you automatically get One Stop site looking after your visa's/

I can't tell people often enough that IF your doing BOI investment the One Stop service is amazing - up there with any first world country.

Hi,

"One word of caution, the 7 days that used to be automatic when a work permit was cancelled is no more. You have to go immigration and apply for the extension, and pay 1900 baht for it."

Great, une more issue to look into :(

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up :up:

Sanuk!

Hi,

This was the BOI one stop service center, NOT the Immigration Department. Big difference :)

My main gripe with all of this is the utter impossibility of getting a straight answer out of anyone :(

Because most of the officials aren't even sure about the rules themselves!

Waerth

No - I have used One Stop often - never had a problem - however the Applicant themselves should be following the rules as laid out by BOI - which is pretty simple - in "some" ;) cases the applicant didn't - and hence is now jumping into process at a midway point between different parts of a Department.

If you apply for BOI - and then go straight to One Stop as per BOI instructions - life is amazingly easy.

If like me you trust a "hired professional" and perhaps the poster - then you get fuck ups - often due to the "Hired Professional" and NOT the Department.

You've used One Stop Waerth?

Aaah, CTO - your words are ringing in my ears. Sitting here in Sillypore,agonising over whether to submit my application for the 60 day tourist visa. If I give them forwarning of my intention to stay for another 80 days (as my return flight clearly indicates), they may well knock it back.

Had a guy tell me that, after 5 years of doing visa runs (more correctly, visa exemption runs), they told him he could only get 15 days extension and then would need a proper visa. He has four houses in Thailand and a wife (I just nodded .. he assured me that she isnt a 22 year old from Isaan, so lets leave it at that, board cynics), so I'd imagine he is pretty keen to have his visa approved. If this is the new ruling, I'd imagine that various Embassies and Consulates will be even busier over the coming months.

Anyway, thats the word on the street (from one source, admittedly) : two 30 day 'exemptions' and they start to get tough - you have to stay out of Thailand for 90 days or get a visa. I havent seen this in print, but TiT - please advise if you have heard otherwise.

My own thinking now is - go back to Thailand Friday, get my 30 days and visit somewhere like One-Stop to get this sorted - bus to border, yadayada.

Alternatively, if they boot me out in 45 days (!), come back to Malaysia and have a holiday with folk who are happy to see me : 90 days visa on arrival, and help yourself to the Thai and Filipina whores. Nong Khai/Laos another option - just dont come to Sillypore. Its OK for a break from Soi 22 - I will take some happy snaps and provide a trip report re Orchard Towers (conveniently located about a hundred metres from the Embassy .. great for the Filipinas who need to go where the work is !) and Geylang, then Johor Bahru tomorrow. Would have forfeited the air ticket anyway, so its just the accommodation and about a thousand SGP dollars for 'company'. :smirk:

Thai Embassy Singapore - monster building on Orchard Road, everyone funneled to a single counter, line that snakes for miles and a 'window' of 09:15-11:30 am - thanks for coming.

Once again, TiT (technically, the Embassy is Thai soil). You can check out anytime you like, just leave your wallet with reception.

Gobble

Be quicker to marry a thai girl!

LOL ! That would cost me a hell of a lot more than my wallet ! Mate, we both know they have found the happy hubby swinging from a tree - thats not my scene.

CTO, its amazing how rose-coloured my glasses have become re M'sia, but suddenly Penang looks so much friendlier. I'm already thinking about rejoining the workforce back in Oz after my 'time out' : a fortnight ago I didnt even want to think about dealing with headhunters etc.

I will try to get to the bottom of this visa thang with one of the numerous shops (hmm - massage AND visa applications ? how versatile you folk are ..) along Soi 22 when I get back, but that queue at the Thai Embassy here is way too scary.

Cheers,

Gobble

Archived