Gas leaks at PTT plant in Rayong

carew66

Gas leaks at PTT plant in Rayong

(BangkokPost.com) - A gas leakage was reported at a PTT plant manufacturing plastic in Rayong's Muang district on Tuesday morning.

The plant, located in Hemraj industrial zone, prompted authorities to evacuate people living near the area.

At least 10 workers, who have inhaled the gas in large amount, was rushed to Maptaput and Rayong provincial hospitals.

Situaion was under control not long after the leakage. Cause of the incident is under investigation.

=========================

Don't know much more myself, yet. Some concerned parents ringing up and even coming to collect L'il Somchai.

The Nation

Today

Link

Gas leak at a Rayong factory injures 52

By The Nation

A lethal gas leak at a factory in Rayong province injured more than 50 workers and led to evacuation of some 500 students and teachers of a school nearby.

At least 52 workers of the PTT Phenol Co, Ltd in Hemmarat Industrial Estate in the province's Muang district suffered from various illness, include vomiting, sudden headache and blurry vision. Ten workers were in serious condition, hospital staff said.

The students and teachers of Mabchaloot school were evacuated to office of Mabtaphut municipality. They were all safe.

At first, officials were unclear what kind of gas had leaked.

Sumetha Wichienphet, an emergency rescue operation chief of Pollution Control Department said that the gas that leaked is benzene that can cause cancer but its danger is less than phenol.

Earlier Sumetha said it was still unclear which gas had leaked.

"We have to have rescue team to go into the factory to find out which kind of gas had leaked. If it is phenol, it will be dangerous because it is poisonous," he said.

Officials from the department will also inspect the nearby areas including water sources to examine whether they were contaminated by the gas or not, he said.

PTT Phenol Plant is not yet completed it is still going through pre-commisioning phase, I was in meetings with PTT all day today at Map ta Phut and when this news broke this morning it was a hot item of discussion.

Aparently the leak occured when they made a system live for the first time and an internal investigation is now underway to see if all required testing had been completed before this phase of Pre-Commisioning. The Contractor Involved is CTIEI from Tawain, I have done projects with them before and they leave a lor to be desired, they make the Korean Contractors appear competent.

CTIEI are fully responsible for Detailed Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Commisioning of the plant only after 30 day reliability trials are succesfully completed do PTT take ownership. Unfortunatley the company I work for are the consultants on the project and there is bound to be a major internal inquiry for us as well, thank fux its not one of my Babies.

CTO Accidents don't happen, they are the results of neglegence somewhere along the way, either a Design Flaw, Materials used that were not specified, bad workmanshup that was not inspected / tested to the agreed procedures etc, I can assure you accidents don't "Just Happen"

The leak was Isopropyl benzene(Cumene). As said earlier, happened while CTCI was running a start up test at the PTT Phenol Plant.

Leaks are not unheard of during testing anywhere in the world, almost always they are due to not following procedures or a flawed procedure that was not thoroughly reviewed. Sometimes it is due a material or workmanship failure. As CTCI is notorious for using China sourced material, this could likely be the cause, but that is just speculation at this point.

To me the worst part of this accident was the mass confusion at nearby plants that are under construction, and the lack of coordinated response by the IEAT and EIE that included them. The whole area is getting more and more crowded and I donâ??t think the IEAT and EIE are doing all it should to make sure there are coordinated emergency plans that inlcudes plants under construction.

Archived