The first victims would be the Irish

Fidel

I know this isn't getting much coverage in the international press, but Ireland is about to vote on the Lisbon Treaty.

For some background; the Lisbon Treaty was written after the French and Dutch people rejected the EU Constitution in referendums held in both countries. The constitution would have given us a national anthem, a European military and essentially, a United States of Europe.

Realizing that the constitution was likely to be rejected across Europe, the EU elites decided to prepare a 300-odd page incomprehensible legal document which would be ratified by national parliaments, not by the people. The Treaty is 95% identical to the constitution rejected by the French and Dutch.

So, having rejected the constitution, both nations will get it anyway, unless the Irish vote "No".

Ireland is the only country holding a referendum on the treaty. We have not been told what is good about the treaty for Ireland, but we've been told that if we vote "No", we will loose jobs and investment, and we will all end up emigrating again, like in the '70s and '80s. The sky will fall in; the ground will open up and swallow us.

The latest swipe came at us from the French, namely, Foriegn Minister, Bernard Kouchner, who has said that, if we vote "No", the "Irish will be the first victims".

Will the Irish save the day for the rest of Europe?

I for one believe that everyone in Europe should have a chance to vote on whether or not we have a USE and whether or not we change from being citizens of our respective countries, to citizens of the United States of Europe.

I'm hoping for a "No" vote, and I promise free beer all night on Friday night, for any board member in Lahore if the brazen Irish stick their middle finger up at their own politicans and the Euro elites!

Irish Voters Hold Vital Key

The document is extremely technical and 346 pages long, making it "more Stephen Hawking than J. K. Rowling," in the words of Defence Minister Willie O'Dea. Irish EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy last month admitted he didn't expect "any sane and sensible person" to read it, the Irish Independent reported last month.

Oh, and interestingly enough, the Irish government sought assurances from the EC, that no announcements would be made, or measures taken, to harm the chances of a "Yes" vote, until after the referendum.

The Commission also decided to bury a report on the implementation of the treaty until after it has been ratified by all member states.

I suppose that's European style democracy for you!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland is the only country holding a referendum on the treaty. We have not been told what is good about the treaty for Ireland, but we've been told that if we vote "No", we will loose jobs and investment, and we will all end up emigrating again, like in the '70s and '80s. The sky will fall in; the ground will open up and swallow us.

All a bit grim..

Oh, and the Brits ain't getting a referendum, even though New Labour Incorporated and the (Neo)Liberal "Democrats" promised one.

The common man just can't be trusted to make the right decisions on issues like this.

Damn, if the Irish don't vote "No", me and Phil will be compatriots!

Everyone tells me as soon as Ireland adopted the Euro, prices went up.

<< As Ireland counts down for the European Union's only referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, EU and Irish leaders are keeping their fingers crossed as they hope to avoid disaster.

An opinion poll published in the Irish Times Friday showed the no camp five points ahead of the yes, for the first time since the campaign began.

That poll has set nerves jangling in Brussels, as experts warn that a rejection of the treaty could throw the EU into confusion.

"There is no Plan B: if there was a no, in Ireland or in another country, it would have a very negative effect for the EU," the head of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, said on May 26.

"If you had a no vote based on a high turnout, the EU's back might be forced against the wall," Hugo Brady, of the London-based Centre for European Reform, told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa. >>

Link

Aye, but so did wages, to be fair.

However, Ireland is now known as the "Rip-off nation".

Take the i-Phone, for example:

In Northern Ireland, users paying £35 sterling (�45.65) get 600 minutes of call time and 500 texts.

By contrast the basic â?¬45 subscription here gives only 175 minutes and 100 texts.

Northern subscribers on the middle tariff of £45 (�58.70) get 1,200 minutes and 500 texts, compared to the 350 minutes and 150 texts for people paying �65 a month in Ireland.

The high end subscription of £75 sterling (�97.83) gives users 3,000 minutes of talk time and 500 texts. In the Republic of Ireland, o2's highest iPhone tariff costs �100 and gives 700 minutes and 250 texts per month.

In addition, Irish consumers using the iPhone to access the internet are subject to a 1gb data limit each month, before extra charges are applied, regardless of their subscription plan.

In the UK, users on all tariffs have unlimited data allowances.

Source

Guest lazyphil

did,'t borris jonhson get in trouble for saying something about the irish reveling in victimization/self pity culture?...or was it scousers?...not alot of difference really either way :cover::grinyes:

Archived