The first victims would be the Irish

Fidel

I have links to both Northern Ireland and the south (Cork). The "norman" that I was refering to were the normans/english that pillaged Ireland toward the end of the 12th century. I'll give you a hint of my last name. If you go to Carrackfergus by train, the shopping center that you pass on the way to the castle has my last name (slightly different spelling). By the way, there is a prize to the first correct answer to my correct last name. And yes, I do consider myself an American with Irish roots, but an American first. There are not many countries that americans use in Hyphonated form. I never hear anyone claim to be English-American or Scottish-American. One of my first posts here was on the topic of where one would want to live. In 2003, I said I would like to live half the year in Thailand and the other half in Ireland. The Irish part isn't going to happen because they priced themselves out of my price range. Looks like it will be half the yer in Thailand and the other half in the U.S. (my home country).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The failure of the EU constitution was a huge blow to the united Europe proponents and this sure looks like another run at it. People tend to focus on the politics and not the real motivations behind it, which is of course, economic. If the proponents fail to get the power for a single central bank to dictate interest rates and monetary policy, the Euro is doomed to failure, and Europe will disintegrate back into the petty squabbling countries it has been since the end of WWII.

Thats the castle. I actually have a piece of that castle sitting in Kansas City, along with several pieces of the castle in Kinsale, Cork. I still need the name of the person that built the castle. (and the correct spelling of my last name)

In 2003, I said I would like to live half the year in Thailand and the other half in Ireland.

You must be the guy who keeps singing the song (I wish I waas in) 'Carrickfergus' in all the Irish pubs in Thailand. :surprised:

Seriously, my dad has been wearing out that song at parties for as long as I can remember, and still does, but our surname is a city in Armagh.

<< Carrickfergus stands on the north shore of Belfast Lough and is home to the 12th century Carrickfergus Castle, one of the best-preserved Norman castles in Ireland. It was built around 1180 by John de Courcy. >>

Wikipedia

Who amazingly is an ancestor of the great Roger de Courcy of Nookie Bear fame :thumbup:

RogerDeCourcey2.jpg

Archived