If the Thais dont want us, where to ?

gobbledonk

Are you talking about the Chinese-Thai business community - which is so terrified of losing control of the economy?

The Chinese-Thai community is the most xenophobic and hypocritical. And yet, the younger generation in this community seems to have the best grasp of what is happening now. But I still have to wonder because....

The son apologized up and down and until Suday but he could not over rule Papa

...and its still not clear which view will ultimatley prevail here. It goes back and forth....

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
many if not most Thai's in senior civil service positions, the upper levels of Thai society or in politics want farang money but would far rather not have to put up with farangs in their country at all if they could still have our money without the inconvenience of having to put up with us in this Thai utopia fantasy they seem to think exists.

Two words: "quality tourists".

According to a British friend of mine who owns one of the biggest tour operators here in Thailand Myanmar holds the future. It has everything, culture, beaches, mix of different peoples, snowy mountains, jungles and a desert. He even bought land there in the 90's already; he says it will become the prime destination once they can solve all of their troubles.

As of the intial question: Hong Kong by all means.

Their policies there are so much more attractive it almost hurts to have chosen BKK over HK, but for us the market -at the moment- is bigger in BKK and we don't mind the very affordable comfort over here.

Going to HK on tuesday though, hopefully great food, some decent suits and good business

Some Thai Chinese families surely belong to this elite but I rather think about the long established families running the big Thai conglomerates (e.g. CP group, owners of Bangkok Bank) as well as parts of the military and the old aristocracy (na Ayuatha, Khun Yingsâ?¦.). They are running and exploiting the country for decades and they see us as a threat. As I said even Thaksin isnâ??t part of this inner cycle of Thai society. They hate him more than we do. They are in full control and believe they are above the law.

Let me give you a typical example. I remember an article in the English press about changes for credits where some of the old elite whined about the growing influence of foreign banks. Prior to 1997 banks were just giving credits to individuals because of their reputation and names. These days more and more banks are approving credits based on western check and controls. This upsets the elite who under the former system always would have gotten what they wanted without thorough checks.

Further they have to keep the masses dumb in order to be able to continue their exploitation. How else they get their cheap maids, drivers, servants and prostitutes. They still (think to ) live in a feudalistic society.

"Further they have to keep the masses dumb in order to be able to continue their exploitation. How else they get their cheap maids, drivers, servants and prostitutes. They still (think to ) live in a feudalistic society. "

Good post. Yet I feel feudalistic society beats western democracy in a lot of ways .

Besides it reminds me a discussion I had with a chinese business partner a few days ago (we mix thai and english when we talk).

After I was wondering wether the length to process our company set up was normal by thai standards , he replied:

"Muang thai cha. Ta may cha, raow may louay"

"Thailand is slow, if it wasn't slow we wouldn't be wealthy."

And he has a point, it's not overly difficult for the discriminated against foreigners to take a lead in this country, and the most striking examples are those very succesfull thai chinese families, which were succesful from the first generation on. And many new chinese immigrants, like this friend, are beeing remarkably succesful. Some westerners are also doing noticeably well in this country.

Count me in.

Surely a patriarchy has advantages over a western democracy for the few who are in power. Such systems always favor few and disadvantage the majority. Nothing new here and I will never question this.

Thaksin is a prime example only that he wanted too much and thus alienated with the old elite. He made his fortune with shrewd deals with the government; first by selling overpriced old computers to the police force, than investing his money into concessions to build AIS mobile network. He eliminated competition and build a quasi monopole. I remember well when I couldnâ??t use any mobiles bought abroad with local SIMS and had buy the way overpriced AIS mobile phones. He had the right vision but the way he does is not only immoral but also illegal. All the bribes he paid would have brought him many years into prison in every modern democracy. Luckily for him he got away with it in Thailand at least so far.

However, I donâ??t understand your statement:

Thailand is slow otherwise we wouldnâ??t richâ?¦.

Archived