If the Thais dont want us, where to ?

gobbledonk

Oh of course you are so right. There are thousands of Thai spouses eagerly waiting to support their old hubbies with 400K a year. Shame on me thinking bad about the lovely daughters of Issan.

No, Shame on you for thinking that all Thai females are daughters of Issan who strut their stuff in P4P venues. You tell the board that you have been here 12+ years and yet this is still your opinion of Thai females, no wonder you get a hard time.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The rules and regulations are in place, 800,000 THB in a Thai Bank with NO interest for 6 months would loose me STG 412 per annum, or approx STG 8 per week. Surely if one is considering retirement plans these "hidden" overheads have to be included in your overall plan.

Let me use your example as an example of why the regulations don't make sense. If you are here on a retirement visa, you are prohibited from having a work permit. Bank of Thailand regulations provide that a foreignor cannot open a bank account in Thailand unless they have a work permit. The retirment visa rules require THB 800,000 in a bank account.

Think about it. The Bank of Thailand has sent notice to banks threatening fines and punitive action if they don't close any account held by a foreigner who cannot produce a work permit. What happens to retirees if all banks start complying with this regulation? (Many already do.) It is the law after all.

It makes no sense, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of similiar examples here.

Gaddy

Can you show me a current existing law that backs up what you said?

I very much doubt you can.

I have gone to the Bangkok Bank and was told and shown a Bangkok Bank letter/memo that instructed the bank's personnel NOT to allow accounts to be opened for farang that did not have work permits.

They also advised me that if another bank would open an account for me, there was a chance that the account would be forced closed and I would lose my money.

Within 15 minutes, I was in Kasikorn with my account open...knowingly at my risk if Thailand would force the account closed.

Also, Kasikorn never mentioned anything about should a rule/law as to having a work permit.

X years later, my account is still open and functional and I do get interest every six months, not a bunch but something.

Cav,

Some years ago BOI did make the law about WP for Bank accounts and they repelled it 2-3 weeks later, unfortunately some branches of some banks still do not know the rules. I have had aconts with BBL, K-Bank (when it was Thai Farmers) and SCB since 1991 no problems at all, FFS I have Credit Cards from BBL and SCB.

Hi,

Mekong, I think Hardy was being sarcastic.

I know you got lucky (probably more so than you deserved :) ), but there are not that many women in Thailand who could support their husbands if they wanted to. My wife for instance, while working very hard, doesn't get close to making 40K/month.

Sanuk!

cav

KS is correct and so are you, I did go through the "mine is different" phase with the ex BG wife, sucked in chewed up and spat out but I survived just.

I was 50-50 whether to stay here about 8 years ago, the alternative was back home tail between legs admitting defeat so I battled on. I would like to think that I was a good catch for my wife, when met I had home car and WP already so in her eyes I think I was desirable (low risk)

I wasn't looking for marrage / long term relationship but I met a woman who accepted me and all my faults and she not only puts up with them she encourages them, I am the asshole she is the bitch perfect match

Once again you are drawing your own, completely unfounded conclusions to discredit valid contributions of others.

If you have been lucky enough to meet an educated, well-off wife who can take care of you and does not take advantage of you, great for you. But that this is the norm you are just blind.

Unfortunately there arenâ??t any statistics available but I donâ??t think anybody on this board â?? except you â?? will debate that the vast majority of foreigners is married to women which arenâ??t able to support a farang lifestyle with almost 40K a month. After all the average monthly wages are still below 10K THB. So whatâ??s your point?

Gadflyâ??s point with bank accounts is absolutely valid. It is a legal requirement (2003/2004) to have a valid VISA and work permit to open a bank account. Of course this is Thailand and one branch might follow the rule while the next just doesnâ??t care. But what does this change! I wouldnâ??t put thousands of Euros on such an 'illegal' account.

And the â??smartâ?? statements that so far nothing ever happened are just as brainless as the guys saying why should they use condoms. So far they never caught something.

Archived