Does anybody believe in ghosts?

teddy

My dad bought a derelict coach house with attached cottage in the lake district which dated back to 1700 and something. He refurbished it and we used it as a holiday home for years going up there most weekends.

Anyway, people who lived nearby told us that the place had remained empty because it was well known to be haunted. This didn't bother me because I don't believe in ghosts. However there were some strange happenings that couldn't be explained.

My brother who also doesn't believe in ghosts woke up one night to find an old woman walking out the door dragging some bedsheets, his bedsheets! he lay on the bed without any blankets terrified.

On another occasion one of my dads friends who was staying there got up one night to go to the bog. When he came back, the bed had been made, perfectly made with the pillows fluffed up and the sheets tucked in.

Another of my brothers went up on his own one Friday night to stay for the weekend. He arrived back in Liverpool around 4am in the morning swearing he had seen an old lady in his bedroom and vowing never to go back.

I stayed there one weekend with my wife and I left her alone one saturday afternoon while I went to Cartmel races. I came back to find her white faced sitting in the garden swearing she had seen a ghost, again, an old woman in the bedroom. She was pretty shocked and in fact when I looked into the house I saw the cooker on fire. She had left something under the grill but would not go into the place on her own to turn it off.

The final straw came when my dad, who was very cynical and laughed all these occurences off had a meeting with the ghost, again in the bedroom. He had gone into one of the bedrooms on his own to get changed. He was completely sober and it was late morning. Someone or something blew in his ear, not once but three times. He ran out screaming. He put the place up for sale after that.

I never had any meetings with the ghost and I still don't believe in them but this was pretty freaky.

I do believe ghosts exist but that they are only the "real" products of our imagination.

For example:

I lost half my classmates during the Rwanda genocide.

I was deeply in love with one of the most beautiful African girl I met...We already our plane tickets for Brussels bought.

(although her father who was a high ranking official did not approve our relation but this is another story)

She was killed...I survived because I was a foreigner.

One year later, I went back to Rwanda and to the house my family had.

It that was late evening.

I felt a presence and then I saw her staring at me from the door and then she ran away.

She was "real" the few seconds she stand up in the doorway, I could hear her breath, I heard her footsteps when she ran away...

Took me a few seconds to recover from the shock and I went after "her"...Nobody

My other friends who were standing outside

(all male and caucasians) did not see anybody...

So this "person" could not have been an intruder or real as there was only one door and my friends were just next to it waiting for me.

I do believe that the human brain can generate

"ghosts".

Since then I never saw a ghost again...

Fuck that, I wouldn't go near the place.

I've never met an Asian who didn't believe ghosts. One Vietnamese girl, a devout Catholic currently attending medical school in California told me she's seen them on several occasions.

I believe "ghostologists", if that's the term, never take single person sightings into account, the sighting has to have at least two witnesses.

I have yet to see any credible evidence so as of now I throw that in there with angels, miracles, ufo's, and santa claus. One thing we know is people are very susceptible to the power of suggestion. They have done zillions of studies such as telling people they are staying overnight in a haunted house when it is not haunted and vice versa. Guess what the results were? Well you probably can figure that out.

Archived