US Compatible VCR/TV in BKK

CosmicSurfer

I'm planning on moving to Bangkok in March and I want to be able to play US VHS tapes that I have and that my kids/friends may send me.

I'm planning to bring a US system TV and VHS Player with me to do this.. But it will cost me to do so in $$$, and hassle... So...

Is there any place to get a US system (NSTC) compatible VCR that will play my tapes on a Thai system (PAL) TV in BKK?

What's the Model # and What's the cost?

Khup Khun Krab

CS

quote:

Originally posted by TEDBKK:

I don't know about the VCR part, but most TVs sold in Thailand are multi-system and will do NTSC no problem.

Then all I'll have to bring is the VHS Player and hook it up to the Thai TV... using a step-down transformer to convert the cycles from 60 to 50 so it runs at the right speed. That's much lighter, smaller and easier to pack.

But a VCR that does the conversion would be a perfect find.

CS

Make sure you do check before buying in thailand BUT... I think you'll have a hard time finding a TV or VCR that ISN'T compatible with both systems. Almost all will be PAL/SECAM compatible - 240V obviously. Note you can get very cheap (equiv of 100 $US or less) playback only Vcr's here in bangkok. Also be aware that many but not all TV's have a system for switching between languages - eg often you'll find many channels (on UBC cable for instance) that are dubbed into thai. Make sure if you buy a TV it's got the ability to switch to the original language - ie english, or japanese for those funky jap food programs....

coops

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: coops ]

TV prices in Thailand have been coming down, while screen sizes have increased. It is now standard to find TV's with screen sizes of 21 inches as the base models:

Sharp : THB 5,990 (USD 137)

Sony Wega : THB 8,990 (USD 205)

Samsung : THB 7,590 (USD 173)

Panasonic : THB 12,990 (USD 295)

Aiwa : THB 8,994 (USD 205)

LG : THB 11,900 (USD 271)

Typical TV's are sold with :

AC 120~280 volts

50/60 Hz

PAL/SECAM/NTSC 3.58/NTSC 4.43

quote:

The input system can be NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N or SECAM and the

output system can be either NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N or SECAM.

Would not be worth bringing over a TV at these prices.

Now someone can really answer the question and find out details on multi-format VCR players.

I am by no means an expert on VCR's but, they are dirt cheap here in the states, I think if you got one, and ran it through the necessary electrical adapters, it should work just fine. I am not sure, but I don't think there is such a thing as a vcr that plays all foremats, I could be wrong though. Your best bet would be to go to a dealer in USA and or LOS and ask them. I know that a few DVD players will play all formats, but they cost a bit.

Archived