High blood pressure/hypertension

CDN

Your situation is somewhat similar to mine. I hit 200 at 5'10' and thought man I had to do some radical lifestyle changes.

Mt blood pressure was 128/90 so not too bad but still high at both levels...

I dropped to 190 where I am now and hope to reach 180. I know these next 10 pounds will be awlful tough and I know I have no chanvce to get back to my college weight of 170. Now 50 years old....

While exercise is needed for any weight loss, I feel eating or imprpoer eating has been my main problem for weight gain. I don't smoke or drink so those aren't issues. It is the damn soda pop and sweets that are the killers.

Curious why 21/2 hours at the gym basically every day? That seems like an overkill. What does your exercise program (weights, cardio, aerobic etc)consist of?

I do one hour of cardio machines three times a week, run 3 miles on a track three times a week and swim a mile once a week for my exercise program. I don't factor in biking, tennis or golf as those are strictly for pleasure...

I sure it give a lot of weight (no pun intended) to the eating side of the equation to really get one's weight down.

Even if you workouts a lot, if one doesn't reduce caloric intake, one ends up with a big (still big)strong body but not the weight loss one wants.

I think the physical exercise definately helps with BP, but all that junk food and other vices will be what will give you diseases you want to avoid or at least puts you in high risk groups...

My unprofessional observation is 70% proper diet and 30% exercise (getting your heart rate to a sufficient and consistent level during exercise) is needed to avoid high risk factors. For exercise, I don't know how many times a week nor for how long each time out as the experts seem to be across the spectrum on both these factors...

CB

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardinalblue,

I'm 54 years old, I had 2 options, either lower the bloodpressure myself or be on antihypertensive medication. So I completely changed my diet, no sweets (sodas, candies and desserts), reduced carbo intake and be on DASH diet! I increased my exercise level from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours because I have a high triglyceride lever but low LDL. My exercise routine consist of odd days work on upper body and even days work on lower body with 40 minutes of hypoxic tredmill exercise. After 2.5 hours of exercise, my muscles are fatigue to the max! I'm physically tired and sore, I don't know how long I can continue doing 2.5 hours of gym workout! I've been doing it for the past 7 months and I feel great! The bottom line is not lifting heavy weights but lots of repitition! I usually workout until my muscles are fatigue and tired! But now once in a while, I do it chocolate candies and cookies! I also eat fruits and nuts everyday!

I had 3 shoulder and 2 knee operations! So if I can do it, so can you!

• 3 weeks later...

Started off with a diuretic. Made me feel like I had a low grade case of the flu. I would wake up in the morning feeling pretty good, take the pill and feel crappy a few hours later. Then tried a beta blocker. That worked fairly well although the systolic was still above 130 a lot of the time, but it made my toes numb. Have been on a calcium channel blocker for about 10 days. The pulse rate has gone up as has the systolic pressure much of the time. Had a gap of about a week where I wasn't taking anything and the systolic was lower :question: :alert: Damn, I may have to actually lose weight and exercise--although haven't ignored either one of those. Already close to being a non-drinker. :elephant:

Archived