High blood pressure/hypertension

CDN

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try keeping a food log; write down virtually everything you eat or drink and add it up at the end of each day. This makes you very aware of just how much you do eat and what the real problem foods are.

Set a calorie budget for yourself and eliminate the problem foods...for me, coffee rolls, butter and chips.

Using this method, along with 30 minute, brisk walks morning and evening helped me to loose 50+ lbs over six months.

Try keeping a food log; write down virtually everything you eat or drink and add it up at the end of each day. This makes you very aware of just how much you do eat and what the real problem foods are.

Set a calorie budget for yourself and eliminate the problem foods...for me, coffee rolls, butter and chips.

Using this method, along with 30 minute, brisk walks morning and evening helped me to loose 50+ lbs over six months.

Excellent Advice!

It IS a lifestyle change. Placing yourself on a 'diet' probably just won't cut it.

I quit alcohol a long time ago. Have no need for it. BUT, wilst in Thailand, I will have a Heinekin or three. After that, I turn to cola. Some days/nights I just drink cola.

If you were not an athlete when young or never really did any exercises - then starting now is more difficult. Walking, to me, is the best way to start. Just get into a regimn of walking. Every morning or every evening or both.

There are all kinds of diets out there. But the bottom line is less calories in and more out by exercise.

Relying on pills is not the only answer. Weight loss will help dramatically.

I have/had a neighbor who ate healthy, jogged every day, and dropped dead of heart attack at age 54.

Stress also has a serious effect on health. Yoga is good to relieve stress.

Sleep is important on health. More sleep is needed the older one gets. 8 hours minimum.

Good Luck.

:wave:

Sleep is important on health.

Absolutely, and my doctor at Bumrungrad confirmed that when she told me that it will directly influence your BP numbers on any given day. My readings today (one in the waiting room, asecondby the doctor herself) were *much* lower than my reading a week ago - back in the healthy range for my age. Also beware 'white coat' readings: someone in a hospital stresses you purely by hooking you up to the machine,raising your BP. Relax, sit back and think of England. (Or France, whichever you find less annoying.)

Gobble

Try keeping a food log; write down virtually everything you eat or drink and add it up at the end of each day.

There is a free online way to do this at Fitday. Tell it what you eat, and it gives you pie charts of what you want to know.

Sleep is important on health. More sleep is needed the older one gets. 8 hours minimum.

The latest studies say 8 hours is bad for you and you should get less than that. See link

The latest studies say 8 hours is bad for you and you should get less than that. See link

Studies are mixed on sleep. But I stand by my statement.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/important-sleep-habits

and

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-12-06-sleep-weight-gain_x.htm

:wave:

Hi mate dont worry. Try and lose some weight that will really help.

I am taking rampiril 10mg. MY BP was 147/94...

To be honest I think I was mediacted to early.

Apparently docs in the UK are incentivised to get people on meds for BP and cholesteral.

I am now 120/82...

With a BP that you have got you do need to be on MEDS...

Often it can just be genetic.

Taking the meds really reduces the risk of heart attack and strok.

I have NO side effects from rampiril.

PS I am 34, non-smoker, heavy drinker ( 6 pints 5x per week)

My doctor said weight loss is the best thing, the extra weight puts an awful strain on the old ticker)

STH

Archived