Can a US citizen still live in Thailand for a year?

AD1985

Hi all,

I read about the situation in Thailand with them not wanting immigrants to stay for too long and it has put my plans in danger. I was wanting to live in Chiang Mai for a year.

I am a US citizen who works online (I trade commodities, and the time zone isnâ??t an issue for this). I was planning on staying for a year or so on a non-immigrant O Visa but it appears these are no long issued.

It seems you also need a work permit to open a bank account. If I could swipe everything on a debit card from a US bank this will not be an issue, but Iâ??m sure a local bank account will be needed (for rent/utilities if nothing else)

Are there any options for me? Iâ??ve heard once you go there, there are people who can help you get visa extensions, but I know nothing about how that works.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the board.

Oy! In the kindest way, I suggest you continue to gather info before actually moving.

First of all, you probably don't need a work permit to open a bank account.

If you think you need a bank account so that you can write checks for your basic rent/utilities- forget it. Checks are virtually unheard of here.

Online banking is possible for some utilities, but you probably will need a work permit for that. And, the only utilities that won't be charged (and surcharged) by your landlord might be your phone (without a work permit, pre-paid only I believe) and cable TV (often part of the rent package). There's a good chance that your electric bill will be billed directly to your landlord, who will double the price and pass it along to you.

You would do well to check online for the various visa permutations, i.e., multiple entry tourist visa, issued in your home country, combined with 30 day visas on arrival (visa run). I wouldn't waste a phone call to your local Thai embassy/consulate. As you'll quickly learn they:

1. won't know the actual answer to anything and therefore they will ...

2. lie to you which doesn't matter because they will probably ...

3. arbitrarily change the rule on whatever it is that affects you.

Curious as to why you've chosen the North?

There's much info archived on this board.Research it.

Good luck.

I've lived here for 5 years with nothing but a Visa/ATM card issued by my bank in my home country.

You have a number of visa options which you may care to discuss with your nearest Thai consulate. It's possible to stay here indefinitely on Tourist visas and visa exemptions.

Welcome to the board.

Oy! In the kindest way, I suggest you continue to gather info before actually moving.

First of all, you probably don't need a work permit to open a bank account.

If you think you need a bank account so that you can write checks for your basic rent/utilities- forget it. Checks are virtually unheard of here.

Online banking is possible for some utilities, but you probably will need a work permit for that. And, the only utilities that won't be charged (and surcharged) by your landlord might be your phone (without a work permit, pre-paid only I believe) and cable TV (often part of the rent package). There's a good chance that your electric bill will be billed directly to your landlord, who will double the price and pass it along to you.

You would do well to check online for the various visa permutations, i.e., multiple entry tourist visa, issued in your home country, combined with 30 day visas on arrival (visa run). I wouldn't waste a phone call to your local Thai embassy/consulate. As you'll quickly learn they:

1. won't know the actual answer to anything and therefore they will ...

2. lie to you which doesn't matter because they will probably ...

3. arbitrarily change the rule on whatever it is that affects you.

Curious as to why you've chosen the North?

There's much info archived on this board.Research it.

Good luck.

You certainly seem to have had some appalling experiences with Thai consulates.

The one I use in Australia has been helpful, efficient and very quick issuing visas.

The people I know who live in the UK never seem to have any problems either.

I think a phone call would be a fairly cheap investment to see if the US ones can be of any assistance.

Have to agree - BrisVegas seems good as long as you check what they say and do is right - but no problems either - Sydney once tried to stuff me around but my invitation letter solved that problem.

One option you might consider is to apply for 1 year multiple entry non-IMM-B Visa. All you need is a letter of friend who owns a business stating that you are coming to Thailand to explore opportunities to set up a local branch.

You will have to leave the country every 90 days though.

Bank: You don't need a bank account. Pay your bills at 7/11. For rent, banks have cash machines that you can plop your money in to deposit it to the owners account and get a perfect receipt. For expensive purchases, use your credit card (that's what visa is renowned for--worldwide acceptance but the caveat is avoid shady businesses who add an illegal surcharge). Use your ATM to cover everything else. Works for me year after year. No way you could give me a Thai bank account, no thanks!

Business Visa: If you want to stay legally based on your business, forget it. There is nothing that covers your work situation. Even the Amity Treaty between Thailand and the US seems useless for situations such as yours.

Long Term Visa: There used to be great types of visas offered to stay with long term confidence like the investment visa and permanent residence. They have been eliminated so no need to cover these. If you are over 50, you can still get a 1 year non-immigrant visa though. Another option is take Thai language lessons from a qualified school and get 1 year non-immigrant visa. There is also the APEC card or the Elite card (thailandelite.com). The latter gives you lifetime stay in Thailand for 1.5 million baht.

Tourist visa. You used to be able to go to Malaysia and get 9 months worth of tourist visa at a time, but that is gone. You can still get these triple entry tourist visas from some USA consulates though. At present you can also go to Laos and get 6 months of visas at a time (double entry tourist visa). While some have used tourist visas to stay in Thailand 10 years in succession or more, they do carry future uncertainty. Living on your basic 30 day entry stamps seems to be impractical these days which used to be popular as well.

One option you might consider is to apply for 1 year multiple entry non-IMM-B Visa. All you need is a letter of friend who owns a business stating that you are coming to Thailand to explore opportunities to set up a local branch.

You will have to leave the country every 90 days though.

This is quite a simple process in western countries but more difficult if you try to do it locally, eg Penang, Vientiane, Phnom Penh etc.

Yep. Even with a letter from a business - plus all of the required paperwork showing the company is legit, you will usually be given only a 90-day non-immigrant visa. No more multiple entry visa, except in the west (US, UK, Australia).

But a combination of visas can often covers things - 90 day, then 3 one month tourist visas, then try for another 90 day AT A DIFFERENT PLACE.

Just got the Thai embassy here in Madrid telling me that:

- A non-immigrant visa B multiple entry should take 2-3 days for me to get.

- Paperwork = Sponsoring letter from a company with an office registered in Thailand

One year ago, I got my multiple entry non-immigrant B issued at a Thai consulate in Belgium in just 24 hours....

These are for the non-B.

I asked how long it would take if I was married to a Thai citizen and the answer was 2 days too here in Madrid...

Archived