Can a US citizen still live in Thailand for a year?

AD1985

Non Imm B has always required invitation letters.

Do they only last 90 days or 1 year with 90 days?

How long does it take to do anything in Madrid Drogon? :)

My quickest has been Brisbane - while I waited - about 5 minutes - before that Sydney in a few hours.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non B for one year.

Things take a lot of time in Madrid and sometimes they are never done...

But in this case it is the Thai embassy and for once it is fast. (provided you have the right papers)

Non Imm B has always required invitation letters.

Do they only last 90 days or 1 year with 90 days?

How long does it take to do anything in Madrid Drogon? :)

My quickest has been Brisbane - while I waited - about 5 minutes - before that Sydney in a few hours.

I got my last Non-Im B in Adelaide and it lasted nearly 15 months. You have to get them stamped at a border crossing every 90 days and the trick is to get your last stamp a couple of days before it expires and they give you another 90 days.

I rang the Adelaide consulate last week and was told that the system is exactly the same as when I applied for my visa in March last year. Just a letter from a company required.

Wow thank you all. To answer some questions:

No reasons why I chose Chiang Mai, I'm still in preliminary investigations and it popped up as the best current candidate (very low living costs, beautiful area, friendly people etc)

I still live in the U.S.

I'm 22 so the 50 year old thing will not help. Although if there is an inexpensive schooling options I have been thinking about getting a degree in real estate or accounting (but what I learn must apply to the U.S. laws)

I don't know anyone in Thailand. I may know someone over here with a business, I'll have to ask a couple friends.

From what I have read I am very nervous about using credit cards anywhere. I could catch a fraudulent transaction fairly quickly because all my purchase information routes to my financial software, but i still don't want to worry about that stuff. I think debit cards will have the same issue because I have signed a debit card purchase before. That leaves ATM cards which can pull out cash, but can they pay for purchases? (I've never done that) And can they really pay rent? I don't think my landlord even takes ATM.

I'd investigate online study before you leave if you're planning to do a degree that is usable in the States.

I think you would like Chiang Mai, there's a lot of young people stuff there because of the big backpacker scene.

Every time I go down there, it's about 200kms from where I live, the town seems to packed out with people in their twenties from all over the world.

You really don't need a Thai bank account. You can pay all your bills at 7-11, which usually have an ATM right next to it. As for rent,. when we lived there, the owner of our house gave us her bank account number and we just went to her bank and deposited the money in her account each month...again, an atm being right there for us to get the money with. Seems a fairly common practice.

Archived