Can a US citizen still live in Thailand for a year?

AD1985

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< I'm 22 so the 50 year old thing will not help. Although if there is an inexpensive schooling options I have been thinking about getting a degree in real estate or accounting (but what I learn must apply to the U.S. laws) >>

Accounting you can do. Real estate? I'd expect the laws are very different.

Beware of the private universities. Not all are internationally recognised. Assumption (ABAC) is. A better bet would be a government university international programme (which means it's taught in English). Thammasat has an Bachelor in Business Administration which costs about 350,000 baht for the entire 3.5 to 4 years required. You'd pay that much for 1 year at a US university. Other govmt universities have them too - Mahidol, Chulalong, but Thammasat is the oldest BBA programme. As I recall, there is a joint programme between Thammasat and a French university (but classes in English), where you get both a BBA from TU and the Froggies PLUS an MBA from the French uni.

Do some checking on line. I've heard of western students doing a BBA (international) at Ramkhamhaeng, the govmt open university ... mainly so they get a visa and get to stay around lots of nice Ramkhamhaeng female students. (wink wink, nudge nudge)

I'm not sure what international programmes Chiang Mai University has. It's a very good university though, worldwide acceptance of its degrees. There's also Payap Uni (private) at Chiang Mai and Mae Fah Luang Uni (govmt) at Chiang Rai. Doubt if Mae Fah Luang has international programmes though, since it's fairly new.

p.s. Government universities are now officially known as "public universities".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Thailand

Depends upon your long time aspirations and capabilities, but I would be careful completing my education at a Thai university. This list is typically cited by The Economistas a reliable list of the top universities in the world. Or you can check out the US News & World Report's annual rating of the top universities or go to this wiki site for other lists of the top universities, and I don't think you will see a single Thai university listed.

That is not to say that there aren't good universities in Thailand, but if you tire of Thailand and return to the West (not uncommon), I suspect you will have an uphill battle trying to convince a good prospective employer of your bona fides. The best way to come to Thailand is to get hired as an ex-pat, but that will require substantial experience, a great deal of patience and luck. A degree from top international university also helps, but I think the key is experience that is needed here and plain old luck.

But its not impossible. Because of the "trust issue" (can't think of a more delicate way to put this), many Western and Japanese companies want a known quantity here they can trust managing their local operations - particularly if they have been burned before (in the case of a Japanese company, I suspect this means that you must be Japanese. I have seens Australian and UK country managers of US multinationals, but I have never seen a Farang managing the operations of Japanese company here).

Aha! Another list (Newsqueak) and my uni is #54 in the world. Go figure. I notice the top 5 are all US. A bit of national bias???

:hmmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_100_Global_Universities

I'd say it is actually impossible to rank entire universities this way. One needs to rate individual faculties. How does one compare a Liberal Arts or Law programme with a medical or physical science faculty? Yet they try to do that in a university vs university rating.

:confused:

The degree is a secondary goal nowadays, I'm just doing it for my own benefit and as a safety net (also to keep my parents from throwing a fit, hehe). I am a fairly successful trader and my savings habits are also very good so I have saved quite a bit. My end goal has always been real estate investment which is coming very close to reality, I am just biding my time and allowing my funds to grow while the market is simultaneously declining. Everything seems so perfect these days, when that happens I knows it's time for a drawdown (period of losses) ;)

Lately my head has just been in the clouds upon discovering the thailand option, I mapped everything out and it just seems too good to be true. I stand to save about $35,000 ($15k expenses and $20k taxes) AND have a standard of living that I could not have imagined for myself for at least 20+ years AND travel to my home continent (I'm indian) AND still go to school. There has to be some kind of catch. I've had little time to be investigating the thailand thing lately but will definitely keep looking into it beforee making any rash decisions.

I think the original suggestion of going to school to study thai language was to be able to get a visa from that school. My understanding is that you can get this type of visa relatively easily, study thai, and it won't cost alot of money.....

• 2 weeks later...
Aha! Another list (Newsqueak) and my uni is #54 in the world. Go figure. I notice the top 5 are all US. A bit of national bias???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_100_Global_Universities

I'd say it is actually impossible to rank entire universities this way. One needs to rate individual faculties. How does one compare a Liberal Arts or Law programme with a medical or physical science faculty? Yet they try to do that in a university vs university rating.

isn't that list a bit outdated, as Harvard is not anymore at the top (or is this only for MBA's?). anyway at least my university is under the top 50!

agree with other posters! i would certainly not make the important degrees at a Thai university!

Archived