Justice is served for US deserters.......courtesy of Canada.....!!!

TheCorinthian

i work with many Military Staff,Doctors and Nurses.

they now work in civvie life because of Military cutbacks but still have to serve their time in war zones.

most joined up since the current problems started and are quite happy to serve in Iraq or Afghanistan.

they normally spend 4 Months of the Year in a war zone and then work in a civilian Hospital for the rest of the Year.

they have horror stories to tell but i don't really want to hear tales of horrific injuries.

i admire them for enlisting in the first place and then doing their duty.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 months? They must be in the Air Force to get off that easy. Our docs had 6 month minimums.

maybe they have it easy..... :dunno:

but you are talking about Doctors?

i'm talking about Nurses mostly.

i work with all 3 Services and everyone has to do their fair share.

no matter what Service they are in they work together when Overseas or in my Civilian Hospital.

i personally wouldn't make jokes about people who are doing their best to help the injured.

i value them where i work and i imagine that their fellow Servicemen value their contribution in the field.

but i don't have a lot of time for Military Doctors.

many are arrogant and expect me to call them SIR or MAAM..........they can fuck off.

i am a civilian and will not treat them any different.

and another reason why the British Military might not do a long TOD is due to Military Hospitals being closed all over the UK and they are shifted to work for our NHS due to lack of staff.

normal Government crap which promises this and that and then just cuts jobs and services.........

Not many folks know that US Army combat medics in RVN generally spent 6 months with a line company and then 6 months in the rear. Still a helluva job. Medics and corpsmen see a side of war that I'd prefer not to.

One of the things they tell you as a medic, is to report any feelings of stress, and anything that you feel may keep you from doing the job at hand. They know medic is a thankless (not really :) ) job, and it is very very stressful! People do burn out at it very quickly, which is one reason I never went into it in civilian life. A move I now sort of regret.

As for doctors, I think society as a whole kisses their asses way too much. Regarding Army doctors, even more so. *BUT* Doctors in the reserve units do have a lot of bills and obligations/responsibilities that other "average citizens" don't have. And as long as we want GOOD doctors in the military, then we do need to cut them some/a lot of slack.

4 months? They must be in the Air Force to get off that easy. Our docs had 6 month minimums.

maybe they have it easy..... :dunno:

but you are talking about Doctors?

i'm talking about Nurses mostly.

In the US Navy at least, they deploy as a group or unit. So they all do the same time together.

i don't know exactly how things work with the Military i work with but will ask.

but i know certain things.

i can work with 3 Army Nurses on the same Day and they can be from different Regiments and have different deployments.

so not all going to a certain place at the same time even though in the same Service.

Military staff are moved around the World at a moments notice and get get easy posts as well as the more difficult ones.

a very good friend of mine has spent 6 Months in Iraq/3 Months working with me/and is currently working in a local tourist spot looking after older people who faint in the heat..........

most are told what their deployments are and arranged well in advance but things change at short notice......

chatted to a current Army Nurse and ex-Navy Nurse the other Night and i was told the following...........

the British Services Medical Forces is understrength.

the British National Health Service is understrength.

therefore the British reservists are the main Medics abroad and the Services work in the Civilain Hospitals.

but the Military have to do their Tours every few Months.

when they go they go as back-up.

but when they leave it means that my Department is short of Nurses/Doctors for that time because no cover is provided.

they don't go as a Unit as such.

they might be in the same Unit/Regiment but are spread all over the UK and none of them all go at the same time.

That's the way Vietnam was fought - a constant turn over of personnel. When I left my company after 13 months plus, there was only one GI who had been there when I joined it. He was on a 6 month extension himself. It wasn't like WWII or Korea, where units went together and came home together.

Also, the Army never trained enough engineers and we'd get infantry sent to us as OJT. Really great when a important bridge got blown one night and my platoon was ordered to replace it. Turned out about 25% of the guys had no idea of what a panel bridge even was, let alone how to build one. We stuck them on perimeter security while the rest of us put up the bridge. About the time we got them semi-trained, the infantry decided they wanted some of the guys back and we ended up short handed again. I ran into a couple of guys later. They told me they'd seen more combat with the engineers than they did in the infantry.

:p

Archived