What does "boutique" mean?

trooper

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the definition, but too lazy to type...

So as a cut-and-paste, boutique generally means:

"A small property, typically offering an enhanced level of service and marketed to the affluent. boutique operation" and,

"Boutique hotel is a term popularised in North America, Australia and the United Kingdom to describe intimate, usually luxurious or quirky hotel environments"

Owner/Manager doesn't have to be onsite at all, though there is usually a duty manager available 24 hours.

The main things to make a hotel boutique, is that small and quirky. (Usually decorated in a very modern style). Usually no more than 100 rooms.

What the hell does this term mean?

According to book "How to establish a succesful business in Thailand" (Philip Wylie, 2007), "Any advertisement containg the word 'boutique' generates over three times as many queries" :D

Imagine the results if they used the word "fuck"! :)

(MooNoi's description is spot on.)

I actually came to think of the meaning of 'boutique' after clicking Park Plaza web site. For me it looks just like another big 95 room 4-5 star hotel :dunno: . What makes that more 'boutique' than let's say Majestic Grande? Or is MG 'boutique' too? :)

EDIT: MG has 251 rooms, so it can't be 'boutique'

That's why I said what I said. MooNoi's description was correct a few years ago, but it seems to have changed now.

My definition of "boutique" *is* correct. However, so many hotels have jumped on the boutique band-wagon its ridiculous. Up until recently, there were very few 4 or 5 star hotels that were under 100 rooms. Now there are many - as the OP said, "boutique" sells. Hotels that are more than 100 rooms are definitely not boutique under the traditional definition.

Also, as per my original post, "small and quirky" need to be part of the hotel's specs to fit into the term boutique. The amount of hotels advertising themselves as "boutique" nowadays, that are actually not, is huge.

It's like Bangkok Airways calling themselves "Asia's Boutique Airline".... can an airline be "boutique"? That's debateable - BKK Air certainly is a little bit different - smaller, high service standards, all pax get lounge access etc. So its probably about as close to an airline being "boutique" as is possible.

Archived