The world is flat!

Faustian

Make that nutter Christians. When Genesis says "a day", who knows what a day means? In the beginning there is no sun, moon, earth etc. So what was the first "day"? How long was it? It certainly wasn't one revolution of the earth on its axis, since there wasn't any earth to revolve.

:hmmm:

These are the same folks who added up the lives of biblical figures to get the precise date of creation.

Two biblical theories that I know of (maybe more) when I was at this church and the pastor had a doctorate in theology.

First is that a day to God is way longer than 24 hours. It kinda mixes evolution with the bible. On the first day he made this, etc. all the way to man on the last day. So, that could account for billions of years.

Second is that he is God. If he's omnipotent then to say he can't make the earth in 7 calendar days, 5,000 years ago is doubting his omnipotence. The bible says there are things that are beyond man's understanding. Covers the bases about fossils being millions of years old..lol.

"...the pastor had a doctorate in theology..."

No offense, but I'll question ANY Doctorate in theology, and the school from which that degree came. Far too many wack jobs get "degrees/doctorates" from bum fuck institutions, or print shops to be taken seriously.

lol...No offense taken whatsoever. Actually, a lot of it is very scholarly. A lot isn't...lol. I'd be very skeptical of a doctorate in theology myself. The better doctorate schools of theology have candidates study ancient hebrew, aramaic (Jesus' language, almost extinct now), classical Greek (the language the bible is written) as well as thorough background in Judiasm, Islam and Buddhism.

I took a couple seminary classes, biblical history - old testament and the history of the church. Not that I was trying to be a pastor or whatever, but I'm a history nut and love history and those classes taught partially as a secular class. It was very interesting as its interwoven with world history.

Yale has a school of divinity still and their doctorates well, its Yale, so you know they have a lot of candlestick power.

Archived