Diplomats rack up £10 million in unpaid parking fines

Julian2

Diplomats rack up £10 million in unpaid parking fines and congestion charge payments.

Diplomats in the UK have racked up more than £10 million in unpaid parking fines and London congestion charge payments, figures revealed today.

Embassy staff protected by diplomatic immunity have also been accused of a string of serious crimes since 2003, including a bribery, indecent assault and robbery.

In a series of statements to Parliament, Foreign Secretary David Miliband also disclosed foreign countries owed more than £400,000 in unpaid rates on their diplomatic missions.

The figures showed the diplomatic mission with the highest level of outstanding fines for non-payment of the congestion charge was the US Embassy. It owed £2,347,205 in fines.

Link

Wonder what the figures are for UN diplomats in NYC.

:hmmm:

p.s. At one Nanapong DC some obnoxious prat kept grabbing at dancers legs and trying to grope them as they were competing. Several times a dancer almost fell because of him. I asked the cops there why they didn't throw the arsehole out. They replied he was a Russian diplomat and they couldn't.

Fun and games in NY as well.

Link

Parking Ticket Uproar at U.N.: For Now, Peace Has No Chance

Faced with a storm of protest from United Nations diplomats over a plan to force them to pay their parking tickets, the State Department backed away from an agreement to remove the license plates of diplomatic scofflaws yesterday, igniting a verbal battle with the administration of Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani over the value of the United Nations to New York City.

In a diplomatic opera that veered all day between high comedy and real furor, a matter as banal as an unpaid parking ticket escalated into a full-blown international incident.

The figures showed the diplomatic mission with the highest level of outstanding fines for non-payment of the congestion charge was the US Embassy. It owed £2,347,205 in fines.

it is probably also by far the largest embassy and diplomats and employees of US embassy outnumber the other!

if you go into the link, above number includes congestion charges and only a small amount are fines!

Unpaid parking tickets are a problem world wide, as well unpaid rents by embassy staff, criminal activities e.g..

This is swept under the carpet usually. I once read a statistic for the German capital. I don't remember the worst offenders, but I remember that the Vatican had only one or two parking tickets.

:content:

I don't remember the worst offenders' date=' but I remember that the Vatican had only one or two parking tickets.

:content: [/quote']

The Pope Mobile got ticketed twice?

The rest were resolved through the sacrament of confession. Beats having to pay cash. :up:

Archived