Russia sends forces into Georgian rebel conflict

Flashermac

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Georgians in South Ossetia have already had everything they own taken from them and been expelled from the area. That's the good old Russian solution, dating back to 1945. Then you declare the new border to be a "peace and friendship border" and verbally attack anyone who criticises it.

This time the displaced persons only number in the tens of thousands, not in the millions.

I read the article but does not clear up the question of whether Georgia was provoked into sending its military charging into S Osettia by Russian machinations, or was it some other reason they went in. And was the russia response justied?

The Russians are saying the western media is not reporting both sides (China says the west media does the same on china issues).

As a thorough going reader of western media I would say it is very plausible that its one sided. And the U.S. think tanks all seem to say Russia is the bad guy here. I suspect you (CW) have been reading the other side; if you have time would appreciate your stating your view on this.

I read the article but does not clear up the question of whether Georgia was provoked into sending its military charging into S Osettia by Russian machinations, or was it some other reason they went in. And was the russia response justied?

The Russians are saying the western media is not reporting both sides (China says the west media does the same on china issues).

As a thorough going reader of western media I would say it is very plausible that its one sided. And the U.S. think tanks all seem to say Russia is the bad guy here. I suspect you (CW) have been reading the other side; if you have time would appreciate your stating your view on this.

OK but it's just IMO.

There seems to be plenty of blame to go round. The root causes probably go way back in history. Since the break-up of the Soviet Union the Georgians have tried several times to incorporate S.Ossetia and Abkhazia into Georgia often forcefully against the wishes of the local people. The Russians no doubt exploit the stuation to maintain their control on the region. They were giving Russian passports to anyone who wanted them.

Who provoked who this time? Depends who you ask. But the US was training and arming Georgian troops and that probably gave Saakashvili a green light to attack. I think the strong Russian response surprised a few people in Tblisi and Washington.

The virulent anti-Russia stance of the Western media puzzles me a bit. I don't understand why it is so one-sided. They like to compare it to Prague. Bush lecturing the Russians about invading sovereign countries is just ludicrous and sending NATO warships into the Black Sea seems like stoking the flames.

This article covered it quite well I thought...

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=9788

So why are the now independent nations formerly incluled in the USSR so worried? Maybe the fact that Stalin settled hundreds of thousands of Russians in them? Suppose the Russian minorities in the Baltic states or Ukraine decide to "secede"? Will Putin send in the army to protect them?

:hmmm:

From Wikipedia:

"Population

- 2000 estimate 70,000"

So if 28,000 were Georgians, that's a pretty large minority.

I suspect the ukraine is the reason we sent ships into the Baltic. Also, the Chinese are watching to see how the U.S. reacts to the invasion of an ally. All U.S. responses being logged away and incorporated into China's taiwan invasion scenarios. So our ships can be deterring not only the Bear but the Chicoms.

Still its hard to say with certainty that Russia had no business sending its tanks in to begin with. But the announcement by S. Osettia that its joining Russia indicates that this was part of a Russian plan to dismember Georgia from the get go.

Archived