Asylum for Thaksin?

Flashermac

No justice?

1. Caught fiddling his taxes

2. Sold government land to wife when PM (not allowed under any constitution)

3. Made vast unsecured loans to company he owned to provide Burma with telecoms.

On those three counts alone he must be found guilty.

There is an old East End (London saying): if you can not do the time do not do the crime!

Maybe somebody should mutter it in his ear sometime.

"No Justice" means : I'm rich and I'm powerful. Therefore, I can do anything I want and you can't touch me.

:dunno:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Court issues arrest warrants for Thaksin, wife

- The Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions of the Supreme Court has issued arrest warrants for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his spouse, Khunying Potjaman, after the defendants failed to attend the court hearing on the Ratchadapisek land case Monday.

The court also seized the bail bonds of the ousted premier worth eight million baht and his wife worth five million baht.

In the written statement released by Mr Thaksin on Monday, he claimed that he and his wife have to skip bail and stay in England because the Thai justice process is intervened by politics.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=129525

BBC has a better article Link but as it's copyrighted I just quote the list of

"CASES AGAINST THAKSIN FAMILY

Case one: Abuse of power related to purchase of state land by his wife. Who: Thaksin and his wife. Status: Trial underway

Case two: Abuse of power linked to government lottery scheme. Who: Thaksin and several former Cabinet ministers. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court

Case three: Abuse of power related to state loan to Burma alleged to have benefited family business. Who: Thaksin. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court

Case four: Concealing assets. Who: Thaksin, wife and two others. Status: Awaiting court decision on proceeding to trial

Case five: Tax evasion. Who: Members of Thaksin's family. Status: Pojaman Shinawatra and her brother jailed for three years, her secretary for two years

Several other claims also lodged"

Two things came to my mind as soon as I heard about this. First, I imagine the "snack box" bribe directed to one of the Supreme Court officers probably had something to do with letting Thaksin and his wife out of the country TO SEE THE FUCKING OLYMPICS of all things.

Second, and probably most important. This entire spectactle should be Exhibit A for that old thread "How Dumb are the Thais". Jeesh, these people are complete fucking idiots.

Analysis: End of an era

Deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's refusal on Monday to return to face four court cases on corruption charges effectively puts an end to his controversial political career, but his legacy may prove harder to kill.

Thaksin and his wife Potjamarn were allowed to travel to Beijing to attend the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games Friday.

Although they had booked return tickets to Bangkok Sunday evening they never boarded the flight, heading instead for London where Thaksin, a billionaire, owns the Manchester City football club and several properties.

The former first couple had been ordered to appear at the Supreme Court Monday, to start proceedings in an abuse of power case involving Potjamarn's 772-million-baht ($23 million) purchase of a piece of prime real estate on Ratchadaphisek Road at a public auction in 2003 when Thaksin was still prime minister.

The likelihood of Thaksin remaining free after the four court cases pending against him was slim, and the Thai judiciary had already sent him a strong message that he was not untouchable when they sentenced his wife and business partner Potjamarn to jail.

On July 31, in the first major blow to the former first family, the Bangkok Criminal Court sentenced Khunying Potjamarn to three years in jail for avoiding a tax bite amounting to 546 million baht on a share transfer to her stepbrother Bannapot Damapong and her secretary Karnchanapa Honghern in 1997.

The verdict left Thaksin visibly shaken.

"It's understandable he decided not to come back," said Chaturon Chaisaeng, a former leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party that Thaksin led during his dual premierships from 2001 to 2006. "He probably thought it was now or never."

As it has turned out, the judiciary has proved to be Thaksin's downfall.

full...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=129528

Archived