Street Prices

I'm interested in not being ripped off to badly when buying things from street stands. I've bought three pair of "silk" boxers for 200 baht in Chaing Mai. Tee shirts in BKK always seem to be 100 baht. What are you all paying for things you're buying? And is any of the silk items really silk? Thanks.

the locals hardly ever buy things at street stalls in tourist areas. Even if you can bargain them down to decent prices (in Patpong that may be 90% off the asking price)the quality is usually inferior.

There are usually price signs in LOS. If not, chances are this is a place to rip off stupid farangs.

For cheap stuff locals try the weekend market,Lotus, MBK (not as cheap), BigC, - and street stalls in areas like Patunam or Pakhanong.

It may be difficult to find farang size, though.

The best bargain I ever found in LOS was in Emporium LOL - nobody would believe it.

seems like another good question for a poll ...

maybe send a message to khun sanuk on the suggestions board ...

would be nice to see most commonly paid prices for things like:

t-shirts

golf shirts

ties

kakhi shorts

jeans

knock off rolex's (paid 900 baht for mine)

from my experience:

t-shirts 80 baht

golf shirts 150 baht

ties 80-100 baht

kakhi shorts no idea

jeans 250-300 baht

knock off rolex's (paid 900 baht for mine) from 250 - 1500 depending on quality of copy

all prices are for no brands or copy brands

• 3 weeks later...

Any street stall in the FARANG area(Sumkumvit soi 1 - soi25 is a ripoff. Instead, go to MBK and there is this flea market area. The prices here are so cheap that you dont have to bargain with them. If u do, you wont have much bargaining room. Pratunam is ok but not too much selection and in many cases, you'll have to buy 12 count of that item. Stick with MBK. You'll find the same garbage that is being pushed on sukumvit except you wont have to put up with low class pushy deaf Issanese.

MBK is located on Ploenchit Road near the Siam Square Sky Train Stop. You can't miss it. It occupies an entire city block and, if memory serves, has a gigantic MBK logo on the side of the building. Old Hippie -- Did I read a post of your's about food court dining? To be sure, MBK has probably the largest food court in all of Thailand!! The flea market mentioned by the previous poster is on the Ploenchit side of the building going away from Siam Square. Also easily accessible from Sukhumvit area by red bus #25 (long way), blue bus #7 or #8 (air con and shorter route). Transpo information provided by TW. Happy Shopping, Guido smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by CondomKing:

MBK is located on Ploenchit Road near the Siam Square Sky Train Stop. You can't miss it. Guido
smile.gif" border="0

MBK is located on the Patumwan intersection. It's on Payathai road and Rama 1 road - not Ploenchit Road. Skytrain stop is "Siam" station.

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: BkkShaggy ]

Apologies to all. My directions were not exactly 100% correct. Ploenchit Rd turns into Payathai Road and MBK is,indeed, on Payathai Road and the National Stadium Station is a stop closer than the Siam Station. Can I redeem myself in some small way by posting this Skytrain Website? Please forgive and forget. Guido.

http://www.trainweb.org/railwaytechnical/bangkok.html

Archived