What next?

Al

I appreciate the other thread about the Thai language. What I knew for the last trip a few months ago was very helpful. I could deal with the taxis better, and it was fun joking with the BGs.

I have been working on the Thai language since my first visit last year. I mostly practice in my car, by making CDs. I am just finishing up Paiboon's Thai For Beginners.

I am looking for the next thing. I have DAW software so can edit CDs and make material for learning in the car, where I get about 45 minutes a day commuting to work.

I have Paiboon's Intermediate book, but am not sure if that is the best thing to continue.

Any suggestions as to what worked well and what didn't would be appreciated.

I should add, I know about 1/4 the alphabet. I wish I could work at this aspect more consistently, maybe one day... I can't learn that in my car.

One book said it can be mastered in 10-15 hours. I think that is optimistic.

Thanks in advance

Al,

You are going the right way by learning Thai Script, 10-15 hours probably is optimistic it took me more like 10-15 years.

I learned using the aids aimed at young Thai kids, instead of Apple, Ball, Cat, Dog I had (still have actually) the Thai Alphabet pictures on my office wall, Gai, Kai, Khuad, Kwai, I also had the infant books where I drew the letters by joining the dots, progressivley less dots and more a test of memory ... if you learn 1 character a week you will crack it in a year.

The only advice I can offer is don't rush, take your time and enjoy learning, Thailand will still be here in 5 years time. Good Luck!

Al,

You are going the right way by learning Thai Script, 10-15 hours probably is optimistic it took me more like 10-15 years.

I learned using the aids aimed at young Thai kids, instead of Apple, Ball, Cat, Dog I had (still have actually) the Thai Alphabet pictures on my office wall, Gai, Kai, Khuad, Kwai, I also had the infant books where I drew the letters by joining the dots, progressivley less dots and more a test of memory ... if you learn 1 character a week you will crack it in a year.

The only advice I can offer is don't rush, take your time and enjoy learning, Thailand will still be here in 5 years time. Good Luck!

Spooky, I learned the same way! Although I need constant reminding...I'm lazy.

Archived