Are Thai schools that bad?

drogon

I was involved in School maintenance back in the Dark Ages and still recall an incident at one of the better state schools.

An irate mother wrote to the daily paper threatening legal action because she got a ticket for parking in a no parking zone directly in front of the school entrance so she could pick up her kid when it was raining.

She said her child's health was all that mattered and she didn't want him getting wet in the downpour.

I was there that afternoon organising some plant for roof work the next day and traffic was banked up with kids crossing the street against the lights because she'd blocked the school crossing and half the street.

Her message was clear, "my kid is all that matters, fuck everybody elses",

• 3 weeks later...

Thai schools are only bad if you consider teaching critical thinking skills an important part of education...or if you think emphasizing form completely at the expense of content--or equating rote memorization with real learning--is a bad thing.

In that case, um, yeah, Thai schools at ALL levels blow chunks...Thai schools are only slightly ahead of Cambodia's, which is a pretty fucking sad state of affairs when you think about it...I personally blame it on Therevada Buddhism. Form over content to the nth degree.

preahko

Bullying really isn't a problem in Thai schools. Inter-school fighting is where the big problem lies...

I know the tech schools are particularly bad in this regard. I was sitting in Tawaan Daeng on Rama IV one night, when the place filled up with a bunch from rival schools, and "sided off." Mrs. Hippie du jour became immediately worried, and we soon left. Her comment was "this will be a good show, if these tech students don't kill each other." I think these are the guys who usually face off at Carabao shows.

Archived