Thai360 anonymity and privacy

Tiger Moth

Frede has sent me a bunch of abusive PM's but I just ignore him. He's boring

Let's get back to the topic. I was not talking about intra Thai360 squabbles. I was talking about the use of information posted within Thai360, used outside of Thai360. Totally different subject.

Agreed, this is a serious subject. The repercussions do not bear thinking about.

Without wanting to pull it away from the point I was wondering about the Friday meetings. I've never been though on occasion have been in that part of town. Cannot really decide if I want to become known or not. I am assuming that there is again some unwritten code about those who choose to publicly out themselves.

Maybe they don't give a snake fart.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone uses board names at the Friday gatherings. This was pretty much the same when the Nanapong board guys used to meet at dance contests and such.

There are reasons for anonymity. Most notably, a few years back some wankers in Oz and NO decided it would be fun to get the Bangkok boards shut down and their members kicked out of the country. They posted real names on The Nation website and similar stunts. That went on until the IT swots tracked the perps down to their homes and promised retribution.

The Stickman-Galt feud is not the first time this has happened.

Yeah, I use my real Christian name here but it's not as if I'd be hard to find, posted a Google Earth Image of my house a few weeks back.

I do have an alter ego that acts as the "Mr Hyde" side of my personality on a couple of other forums who covers his tracks fairly well.

Funny how's things go, I heard a rumor that a few members were discussing "outing" another member this weekend for various reasons..

Would it be inappropriate then for me to conclude that you do not consider thai360 to be a place where you expect anonymity and privacy - that, you go elsewhere for that?

I don't have any problems adhering to policy and reasonable expectations. Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps, it is OK to identify anyone who posts here and expose anything that has been posted because we don't expect anonymity and privacy here.

KhunSanuk, what are your thoughts on this?

Is this consistent with your expectations, with those of the members? Anything posted here is fair game to be exposed in public?

So, Julian2, no problem if someone identifies the location of your home and exposes your posts to your wife, including the nice picture in the Phillipines topic. You have said as much. Is this really true?

Or are you, lets say, exaggerating a bit....

I think it cuts both ways. Reckon some of us come here for the info and the fun of discussing like minded stuff in 'complete' anonymity. Others have no problem with being in the public domain, there are several members on here from time to time all but advertising themselves. Even more might not care much one way or the other, all depends on the personal circumstances of the individual. J2 may have no issues either way, TM may prefer to live anonymous to all. More important is the need to respect the wishes of each and with a guarantee of no threat.

Thai360 is an open board, all can read the forums except Nightlife where you must be a member but still open and Boards Sponsors but all can become a board sponsor. So be careful what you post about yourself. On this board there have be posts on other boards (nanapong, stick's, galt's and some more), discussions on especially Galt as a person. There's a privacy rule in the Board Rules - read the sticky in this forum.

A different thing is a member who meets others and gets private information, also via PTs and emails. That's private info and if used on internet boards he/she is an asshole.

Would it be inappropriate then for me to conclude that you do not consider thai360 to be a place where you expect anonymity and privacy - that, you go elsewhere for that?

I don't have any problems adhering to policy and reasonable expectations. Perhaps I was wrong. Perhaps, it is OK to identify anyone who posts here and expose anything that has been posted because we don't expect anonymity and privacy here.

KhunSanuk, what are your thoughts on this?

The Internet can be a dangerous place. If someone is trying to defame you it's not hard to do so. The more private stuff you post on the net the more you give people the opportunity to attack you.

Albeit Thai360 evolved in the recent year to a more general forum about LOS and most recently about SE-Asia, in it's core it is a forum catering to (mostly western) males who went/go to LOS for P4P.

Even P4P is more or less accepted as part of society it could have strong repercussions for an individual (family and or job) if our writings on Thai360 would become known.

I think you could compile very interesting profiles about the regular posters . You'll just need to read all his posts and filter the information.

But back to your initial question. The underlying consent on this board is, that we a talk about topics which can not be publicly or even privately discussed in our social environment back in our home countries. BUT there is no guarantee that someone might use the information against you, there are NO means to prevent someone for doing so!

PS: I am not sure if you realized it, but in your initial post you spread a very serious accusation against a (former?) board member, while you argue to keep this stuff private.

Archived