Thai360 anonymity and privacy

Tiger Moth

Some people hide behind their anonymity and become abusive. I've never done this and generally ignore it when it comes my way. The point I made and others have made is there is no such thing as internet anonymity any more.

I didn't say there was internet anonymity. In my original post, I gave an example in which I had knowledge about a board member, which I did not use because I respect what I assumed to be the anonymity and privacy of this board.

Despite all the high brow talk from you and Hugh Hoy, if people on this board didn't have the courtesy to respect each others privacy, the board would cease to exist and rapidly.

Consider the opposite of respect for privacy and anonymity, everyone with no regard for anyone else, freely discussing anything posted, giving access to the latest bg....

This board would collapse and cease to exist if the members did not respect each others privacy. It is as simple as that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's pretty much the way I see it. Basically, live and let live. The board has rules, but when it comes to what's said outside of the board or in private messages, that's outside the realm of KS's control or responsibility.

I agree that what is said outside is outside the realm of KS's control and responsiblity. I don't agree with regards to PMs. PMs are a facility within the board and therefore within KS's control. It is a facility that is provided that could be removed - how much more control could there be?

Do you expect that KS montiors PM's? We are not in the States or in GB!

Anyone who has been around for any amount of time here, knows exactly who and what you are referring to. You are clearly dragging up an old issue, involving a banned person, and an incident which caused a lot of grief for a lot of people. Many people would prefer to have this incident and this person go away and be forgotten. Hence you are not respecting their privacy at all. Now let it go.

PS: I am not sure if you realized it, but in your initial post you spread a very serious accusation against a (former?) board member, while you argue to keep this stuff private.

Although I replied to samak, who support your PS, I want to reply to you directly. I did not spread a very serious accusation against a (former?) board member, while I argue to keep this stuff private.

The (former?) board member posted this himself and said it was done unknowingly. So, I did not make an accusation, I stated a fact. And, I did it within the confines of the board - not outside.

The person who PM'd me said, he was told I was xxxx, this obviously happened outside the board.

Can you not see the difference - inside vs outside. How more clear could it be?

Hi,

Guess I'd better pipe up here as well.

For what it is worth, yes, I probably could check PTs if I wanted to, but the way I see it that would be a *serious* invasion of privacy. As soon as I start doing shit like that, I may as well shut this board down immediately.

In short, PTs are utterly off limits.

BTW, you (as in every poster here) can opt to not receive PTs from anybody who is not on your friend list (excluding the Admin, I can always PT anybody if need be). To turn this feature on go to your Control Panel, then Display Settings and check the box next to 'Friends Only Private Topics'.

You can also block specific posters by using the Ignore function. There are 3 different levels, the lowest of those means they just can't contact you.

Posts on the open board of course are a whole different matter, and there I (and the mods) do try to keep people's info private. We can, and have, deleted info that could be used to ID someone.

What happens outside of the board though, be this in emails, in person or even by PM, is out of my control. So, if you are worried about your privacy, I'm afraid it is up to you to keep a lid on what you write.

Sanuk!

Anyone who has been around for any amount of time here, knows exactly who and what you are referring to. You are clearly dragging up an old issue, involving a banned person, and an incident which caused a lot of grief for a lot of people. Many people would prefer to have this incident and this person go away and be forgotten. Hence you are not respecting their privacy at all. Now let it go.

OH, perhaps my favorite poster.

Please read my original post. I didn't pick this person at random, nor do I have any interest in bashing this person. It just so happens, I knew the Thai woman he married for several years and we were quite close. The point I was making is that even though I was quite close with this Thai woman for several years and she was about to marry this person of questionable character, I said nothing. It was difficult for me to say nothing because she was very sweet and innocent and I believed she was about to make a big mistake. However, and this is the point, I felt the information I had about this person came from this board and was confidential. So, I went against my desire to protect this nice lady and said nothing.

I am not dragging up something from the past... I happened to have been good friends with the Thai woman that married this guy. So, I am giving a strong example of my own restraint in order to respect anonymity and privacy. Sorry, that this involves an incident that caused a lot of grief for a lot of people... I just happened to have been good friends with this lady for a long time and thus, this is as good an example as I could give of my putting aside my own feelings in order to respect the anonymity and privacy of this board.

Sorry, sorry, sorry... too bad my experience relates to something a lot of people would like to forget. But, again, I happened to have been good friends for years with the sweet, innocent Thai lady this person married. And, I chose not to say a single word to her while being concerned for her and wishing she had never met this guy.

To try another approach at explanation, I didn't chose to discuss this guy to bring back bad memories for anyone, I happened to have been good friends with the woman he married.

I did not pick this guy at random, I happened to be good friends with the sweet, innocent woman he married.

Dude,

None of this concerns any of us, any beef you have, you should take up with KS or this person privately. Please let it go.

I agree OH.

Acutally, it doesn't matter where TM has his information from. And this topic comes up repeatedly: What to do with private knowledge about a certain person (male/female) who is about to enter a serious relationship with a friend...

Archived