...next- Swedish man found dead after apparent suicide -next...

Mentors

The swedish word for lance is lans, lantz isn't the german word btw but lanze.

Actually the the "swedish" name Lans is used in other countries too.

SWEDEN 97.33

NETHERLANDS 61.32

NORWAY 6.22

BELGIUM 2.87

FRANCE 1.68

UNITED STATES 1.23

UNITED KINGDOM 0.48

SPAIN 0.31

GERMANY 0.18

ARGENTINA 0.08

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Half of the swedish words are coming from german.

And the other half come from Norwegian. :)

:cover:

Not really as Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are just different dialects of the same Scandinavian language which is in the Germanic language group. Thus many words are common to both languages.

ALHOLK

My grandmother's first language was German. When she was a girl her family lived in Upper Michigan for a few years - until the cold drove them further south! She told me all of their neighbours were Swedish immigrants, and she picked up the language very quickly from them.

p.s. Of the 1000 most common words in English, about 950 are still Germanic (house, family, father, mother, hand, arm, finger etc).

The population of North Dakota (capital - Bismark) is largely of German origin. There are still German speaking towns there. I went to university with a fellow from Strassburg, ND. He spoke English with a German accent.

<< Most North Dakotans are of Northern European descent. The five largest ancestry groups in North Dakota are: German (43.9%), Norwegian (30.1%), Irish (7.7%), Native American (5%), Swedish (5%) and French 4%.

2.47% of the population aged 5 and over speak German at home ... >>

2000 Census, Wikipedia

Archived