Swiss salaries = daily rates???

drogon

Worked many years as IT consultant, daily rates normal in industry (europe)

Worked for Amoco Chemicals some time in Geneva, dead city. Drove every day to to Col du Mont Sion, France, excellent restaurant there: Abbaye du Pommier, not that Suadum would ever get there though:alert:

One day Swiss customs got worried, thought I was smuggling money or gold each day. They nearly dismounted my empty car to find nothing :chili: ....lost a few hours that day...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[

PS: We are very glad' date= that we didn't move to Zurich, the crash of the financial market is hitting the city/country very hard.

[/quote]

not really. :nono:

much less than most European countries

The major Swiss banks are so huge that the Swiss government wouldn't be able bailout any of them (see Island). Also I heard that the city of Zurich has a deficit the first time in years.

Melting glaciers and melting banks aren't the best combination...

:content:

Drogon,

After Madrid you'll be bored shitless in no time in Swiss!! Even if you commuted to France or whatever it just won't be the same.

Of course (Zurich) does have it's fair share of freelancers, clubs & gogo's but in the end it's a far cry from latino paradise or LOS...

"I would even gladly take a job in Antarctica (provided it pays decently)..."

Nice place as well, no doubt you will manage to hook up with a a middle class office penguin or three.

Not that I would like at all moving to southern Europe, but what is so wrong with Madrid?

Not necessarily in this order

- Lack of decent food/restaurants: I never had the opportunity/time to learn cooking thus I need restaurants.

Here the food is anyway expensive for a below average quality, also there is simply a lack of decent restaurants (I mean something else than Spanish food)... Took me 9 months to find an average Italian (counting that I eat at a different restaurant every day).

- Dirty city: They are lucky to have a quite efficient cleaning service.

This said I tend to describe Madrid's streets as

"jumping over dog's shits race"

- Quite many dirty people: Seems that many Spanish (especially the oldest people), quite many South Americans and Africans don't like the bathroom...

Far too many people stink...

- Security: This is not Caracas yet but maybe not far, robberies are very common and more than a few expats here have been robbed by knife-wielding tugs.

Last but this is my special case

racism: For the people here (especially the South Americans) I am Chinese with the negative stigmas and reactions associated.

This is quite funny as at least 1/4 of the population here is foreign.

There is a huge South American population with the more Indian ones doing all the basic jobs

(never had a problem with the educated Venezuelians or Argentinos).

Quite a large African community too (never found a single one having a legit job).

And of course Spanish from all provinces attracted to the capital (or Barcelona) as this is where jobs are.

Thus it is normal that people viewing me as Chinese tend to call me names or allow themselves to be rough...Until I tell them to fuck off in French or English.

(big Chinese community here but this is a long story)

These are the reasons why I want to get out of htis city...

The major Swiss banks are so huge that the Swiss government wouldn't be able bailout any of them (see Island). Also I heard that the city of Zurich has a deficit the first time in years.

Swiss central bank helps UBS with 60 billion dollars.

Drogon,

I see your point, I'm of spanish origin with still a lot of family there so don't face the racism issue (although do face nationalistic or, even more ridiculous, provincial antagonism) but have definetely little interest even in going there on holidays.

Actually just booked a Junior suite in the Steigenberger with balcony right over the Zurich lake for this sunday and hope it will help me relaxing a little coz I'm about to litterally implode out of stress... Wonder how the office walls will look with all those dark thoughts and bloody brain fragments splattered across them...

Archived