Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

Funny. When the team sheets were announced yday and Diouf was paired with Davies, I thought to myself..."why the hell play Diouf, who relies on pace, when you could start Ferdinand or Pederson who would physically outmuscle the slight Cygan and surely capitalize."

The whole match changed when those two came on, and it was only a matter of time before Cygan was exposed. His "limitations" are too severe.

KMan, as for Ralphie Lauren, has you noticed what percentage of opposition runs go at Lauren vs. Cole? I would say it is 80/20. Teams respect Cole now, and not Lauren.

There is a glaring weakness there, and if this armchair pundit in Bangkok can see it, then obviously managers from around Europe will too. Voltz, why??????

About the solution for Campbell, I believe Senderos is actually fourth choice behind Sol, Cygan and Hoyte. Hoyte originally played in the middle, but then was tried in place of Lauren for obvious reasons. NOne of the three are the answer yet. I kind of agree with you Steve. A Hierro type would help during the tough times. Too late now, though.

froggo

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spot on guys,i am sure you all know my feelings about Cygan,i am suprised we did not look to buy a central defender this summer,but Arsene like so many attack minded managers,does have a problem spotting good defenders.

I think Lauren is less of a problem,but central cover is dire,and as i said some time ago,it could cost us another championship,as it did two years ago,when that cheating bastard OGS got Sol suspended.

My choice for a back up defender is someone in Kolo's mode than Sol's. Today's strikers have pace and Sol, who has never had great pace, makes up for it in other areas. We need an 'athletic' CB I think. With our style of play, pushing forward a bit, our CBs are often times one on one with the opposing strikers. Despite Silva's or Vieira's best efforts we often have a lot of space between the midfield and center halves. I saw a lot of 20 and 30 yard passes directly to Bolton strikers on Saturday. You shouldn't have too many passes or volleys that long, but our style gives other teams that opportunity, so a good, pacy, athletic CB is good in those circumstances.

Cole's helps his own cause defensively because he can go forward well. Opposing wingers are wary of him and when they do go forward while he is up field, our CBs do a fairly good job of stopping them and then they are exposed at the other end of the pitch because we pass well and control the ball well. If they don't score, we can get the ball down that left flank and into the box in as few as 2 passes.

Lauren does not enjoy that same advantage. Opposing wingers and full backs feel easier roaming down his side of the pitch with little fear of countering on that flank. My mother even knows we build up on the left side with Cole and Pires.

Great to see the scum nick a draw at the Bridge. Chelsea were very unlucky but we retain our sole posession of first place which is the most important thing.

In Mourinho's style, he doesn't have use for wide players like Duff and Robben. My fear is that Duff will get frustrated, Man Utd will get Keane to tap him up at the WC qualifiers and then Duff will put in a transfer request and we'll see him as the long term replacement for Giggs on the left. :: :(

Mourinho is too young to know of any other style. He had to play that compact style at Porto because of the limitations of quality and money. He has the fire power and the money to play more like us but I think he's too young and inexperienced to try it yet. If he maintains his present style I think he'll have no more than 3 losses, probably end up with 2 but will have too many draws and that will kill his title hopes. He can't play that style against the likes of Bolton, 'Boro, Villa, the Toon or Fulham and expect to win. He'll draw those games. He'll draw v. Liverpool and the now healthy Man Utd as well.

how quickly you forget my friend.

Duff was Utd bound until the Ruskie started spending his money last Season.

Abramovich started buying Players that other Teams wanted,just to stop them going elsewhere.

Players have left Chelsea during the Summer and more expensive Players bought to replace them.

his attempt at buying the PL Title was a failure last Season and i still think it will be a failure this Season as well.

it takes time and patience to build a Team,just look how Ferguson and Wenger had to wait before winning the PL.

and they have both rebuilt Teams when needed.

Chelsea think they can do that by just spending Millions.

but i don't quite understand what is going on at Chelsea.

they have some good Players who are given a game,but so far hardly anyone has asked for a move.

it would be sad if these Players are more interested in the vast wages than actually playing week-in week-out with another Team.....

sayjann said:

how quickly you forget my friend...

it takes time and patience to build a Team,just look how Ferguson and Wenger had to wait before winning the PL.

and they have both rebuilt Teams when needed.

How quickly YOU forget my friend. Fergie had to wait 4 years before getting a trophy (FA cup) and about 9 years for a title. Wenger didn't almost upon arrival ('98), after about a year and a half. Phenominal really for a foreign manager and Arsenal were not a top team at the time. We were 12th at one point in the mid 90s.

naughty boy Steve.

you put 2 of my comments together(which were about 2 different things)just to suit your purposes and to make a point.

my point was that Chelsea are trying to buy the PL and it does not work(Blackburn might be a point,but what have they done since?).

it does not work in the short-term,Teams are formed by togetherness and playing together.

yes Wenger won a Trophy quickly when coming into the English game,but he has had to rebuild his Team in the following Years.

after all they have never been good enough to win the PL twice in a row.

he had to replace the famous back 4 of Dixon,Keown,Adams and Winterburn and that takes time,not something you can do overnight.

even now Wenger is slowly rebuilding a new Team with young Players bought in and Players like Parlour and Kanu leaving.

Ferguson has built 3 Teams in his career at Utd and it has taken time.

he came to a Club which had been in the doldrums for many Years and he had his problems.

he slowly built a Team but was on the brink of the sack in Jan 90 if they had lost in the FAC that Year.

but they won against Forest,then the next Season won the ECW Cup and then the PL.

he caused uproar in 94 by selling off Hughes,Ince and Andrei and people were saying he had lost it,but the Double was won that Season.

both Managers have HAD to rebuild their Teams and are still doing so and only time will tell which one is the more successfull.....

famous back 4 of Dixon,Keown,Adams and Winterburn,said sayjann.

I always thought The Arsenal famous back four was Dixon,Bould,Adams and Winterburn,

Archived