Gooner Corner

frogpatrol

"Mourinho has been getting testy wth the press over his teams style or lack thereof. "

Perhaps 'disappointing' 1-goal difference victories but I don't think Chelsea is playing defensive or boring at all. I guess that would be the only reason the media could have had to criticise about. They're playing attractive football IMHO. Not many goals but definitely their objective at the moment.

"Mourinho is getting on my last nerve."

Why? :)

Sorry, I don't read the English newspapers which are likely full of EPL and the latest rumours, gossip stories etc etc.

So I have no clue what happens off the field in the press room. WHat I see is what happens on the pitch only.

Kewell is nowhere near the player he was at Leeds. Not worse or better, just different. Very invisible week after week and way too defensive since he joined Liverpool. He know does his job only and doesn't bring anything extra unlike at his previous club. Wrong position? Out of form? Unhappy? I honestly can't tell.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kewell is nowhere near the player he was at Leeds. Not worse or better, just different. Very invisible week after week and way too defensive since he joined Liverpool. He know does his job only and doesn't bring anything extra unlike at his previous club. Wrong position? Out of form? Unhappy? I honestly can't tell.
Maybe L'pool didn't really have a plan why they bought him (got him on the cheap), maybe its the change of the manager now which has made it worse.

Maybe he was just overhyped? Several others sold from what was supposed to be a great Leeds team have failed also. I thought he would do well, but I am pretty biased.

Cheers!

I think Kewell is one of those cases where he's a good player but in the wrong system/club. Saha was like that before he came to Fulham. Was he with the Toon? Can't recall, but he did nothing there but excelled as lone striker at Fulham. Henry is an example of that with us.

chocolat steve said:Reyes missed a 8 yarder that even Diana Ross would have scored.

I don't know, skipper. :nono: I watched Diana Ross play for Stoke City in the 1970s and, though her dribbling, passing, vision and close ball work were excellent, she was notoriously fearful of tackling and hopeless with shots from outside the penalty area. :down: She was also known to have a chronic drink and cocaine problem. :drunk:

Of course, she called herself "Alan Hudson" back in those days. :clown:

jack :help:

CS,

That's disappointing.

I was beginning to like Mourinho for his style and way of handling things in the EPL. (not taking shit from Fergie)

But if he really makes (hidden) arrogant remarks or comments on the Arse side then he's an asshole.

P.S. Do you read such stuff or see it actually leaving the man's mouth on TV. I ask because since the media knows this EPL title is likely going to London (either Arsenal or Chelsea) they wouldn't mind worsening their rivalry which would make the whole commotion on and off the pitch only more interesting......for the media boys.

So I'm not sure one should blindly believe what the papers say regarding the clubs and managers.

I read it in the tabs and also we get sky sports and an epl review show here and i've heard him say a couple things. To be fair, he is defending his club. He gets hammered with 'you're winning but Arsenal are more entertaining'. Fergie violated it and he's the only exception but generally all managers just comment on their own club and say that they will make a go of it for the title if they are in the position to do so.

Mourinho is entertaining though.

Arsenal names Emirates as its winner for naming rights to the stadium and i think also on our shirts in the '06-'07 season. Maybe its my own prejudices, but I don't like it. I'd take McDonalds over that sponsor. I have to say, I'll keep wearing the '02 or Dreamcast shirt when we switch. A Chelsea supporting host of a footie radio and tv show here said he gets dirty looks when he wears his shirt. I'm not going to take the chance.

"To be fair, he is defending his club. He gets hammered with 'you're winning but Arsenal are more entertaining'. "

If the Arse weren't playing more entertaining he'd get other question thrown to his head with the sole intention to create a bigger crack between the two sides.

Those media boys are nasty...exactly their job ::

I can relate to your "sponsor issue". I'm as close to my club Benfica as you are to your Arsenal. Benfica switched shirt sponsor in 1997 to some dodgy insurance company add which had nearly all letters of the alphabet and covered 50% of the front side of the shirt. COmpletely fucked up the whole shirt. Needless to say I never bought that one which lasted only one season.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first of all congrats to Sayjann and all the Man Utd supporters on this forum as well as Arsenal haters.

It was a good game for neutrals I think. I thought Man Utd played well enough for a draw and if they were lucky (which they were) could nick a win.

I will be accused of sounding bitter and not a good loser about this but I must be said that Riley lost control of the game. How he saw a clear penalty from a questionable situation when he missed some obvious ones prior is beyond me. He didn't even consult his linesman. He was that sure. Riley lost control of the game IMO. He seemed to have wanted to let the players play and not book too much but let too much go by and he lost control of the game. Surprised no red cards were issued. I will say that before the 'dive/penalty' I think Sol and/or Kolo were at fault for not clearing their lines. They stood there as the ball came to Rooney and allowed it to happen.

I'm not going to recap a game that I'm sure everyone saw but note a few things. The tackles were rash and spirited at times on both ends, although I think we got the worst of it. I point out one in particular and that was RVN's kick on Ash Cole. The replay showed it and in my opinion was meant to injure. A late, hard tackle is one thing. An argument can be made that the person at least was trying for the ball but RVN proved why he was hated in the Arsenal changing room and why he was singled out for bullying after the match at OT last season.

That said, I thought we created enough chances to win and looked good in our build up but just couldn't get the final ball. Fair play to Rio and Heinze who I would give the former, the man of the match for Man Yoo.

The second goal was a nice counter and we were pressing forward and would be susceptible to it. RVN was doing nothing in the game and it was a wise substitution by Fergie.

Not sure if we should have taken Reyes off. Bergy would have been my selection. Edu played a great game compared to his recent form. I can't fault the players too much. Just a bit of bad luck in terms of finishing. We lacked a bit of the usual fluidity and perhaps did what we do in Europe so often and try too hard. We play much more relaxed in the PL which results in goals.

In a strange way, this coud be a good thing in the long run. The players know they lost on a dive and hopefully will be re-committed to the cause.

There's more I could say but it would sound like whining and since all of you have seen the game you can draw your own conclusions.

Archived